If you’re planning on hitting the trails with your canine companion, you’re not the only one who should have a first-aid kit available to them. Dogs can sustain injuries that require specific treatment items; all of which should be available to you in a dog first aid kit designed for hiking, camping, backpacking and the outdoors.
Here, we’ll discuss what you should be looking for in these kits, what sets them apart, and we’ll review a few of the best products on the market.
Things to Consider Before Buying Your Kit
The primary purpose of a dog first aid kit is to help protect your dog from injury. Whether you’re hunting, hiking or camping, your pet is susceptible to a variety of accidents, minor or serious. Most dog first aid kits treat common problems such as ticks and insect bites.
It’s also important to immediately treat more serious injuries such as lacerations, sprains, and damage to tendons or ligaments. With first aid supplies, you can keep a minor injury from turning into something more critical. These first aid kits are handy to have at home where accidents also happen, including injuries from a dogfight.
What do First-Aid Kits for Dogs Contain?
Most kits include basic first aid supplies such as tweezers, scissors, cotton balls, sterile gauze, and tape. Other kits may include special bandages for more serious injuries. PBT bandages are made from a stretchable material that can be used for sprains and other soft tissue injuries.
For a deep laceration or puncture wound that’s bleeding heavily, a tourniquet can be a lifesaver until you get your dog to an animal hospital. A warming emergency blanket will help if your pet has gone into shock. Other helpful items for your kit are antibiotic ointments, antiseptic towelettes, and alcohol, all of which can guard against infection.
Durability and Size of the Kit Container
You should also consider what type of container the first aid items are stored in. If you do a lot of outdoor water activities, a waterproof case is a good choice for your dog first aid kit enclosure. Containers made from durable material are ideal for packing in small spaces such as your glove box or backpack. Your kit should be able to safely withstand the elements without being compromised in any way.
Now that we’ve given you some baseline knowledge of what a first aid kit for dogs should contain, let’s share our reviews.
Fab Fur Gear Pet First Aid Kit – Best Overall
The Pet First Aid Kit by fab fur gear has a great selection of first aid supplies, including items you may not find in other dog first aid kits for camping and hiking. With this kit, you can remove ticks and treat your dog for injuries ranging from minor scrapes to serious wounds. The kit is veterinary approved.
- This kit is veterinary approved.
- The kit includes a tourniquet, emergency warming blanket, and specialized bandages.
- There are no items that expire, so you don’t have to worry about keeping track of expiration dates.
- The container is made from sturdy canvas camouflage with a loop for hanging.
- There is extra space inside the container for additional supplies.
- The container is not crushproof.
- This kit does not include antiseptic or antibiotic ointment.
- The kit includes the National Animal Poison Control Center phone number, but the phone call requires a $65 consultation fee applied to your credit card.
Vigilant Trails Pet First Aid Kit – Best Value
The Vigilant Trails Pet First Aid Kit has a durable, crushproof container that will keep your first aid supplies clean, dry and dust free. Included in the kit is a first aid handbook that can help you attend to your dog’s injuries, whether minor or serious. This kit also contains antiseptic ointment and other items that will protect your pet from infections.
- The container is crushproof and dustproof plastic.
- You can also use the container for your dog’s water or food.
- The small size allows you to store it in your glove box or backpack or your dog’s backpack.
- This dog first aid kit for hiking includes antibiotic and Vitamin A & D ointments and antiseptic towelettes.
- Includes a Pet First Aid Handbook and Reference Guide.
- The first aid items are crowded in the container.
- There’s no room for additional items.
- The plastic material isn’t pliable and can make it difficult to store in certain places.
Inspired Outdoors Premium First Aid Medical Kit – Best Budget Pick
The Premium First Aid Medical Kit by Inspired Outdoors is a great choice for the budget-minded shopper. Not only is this a dog first aid kit for backpacking, but this kit also contains supplies for people. You can take this kit on outdoor outings and also use it for home emergencies.
- This first aid kit has supplies for people and pets.
- The first aid items are stored in a durable canvas bag.
- The bag has multiple compartments to keep the first aid items clean and organized.
- This first aid kit is OSHA/ANSI compliant and FDA approved.
- This first aid kit includes triple antiseptic ointment and an instant ice pack.
- The tweezers may be difficult to use because they don’t come together at the tips.
- The bag is not crushproof or waterproof.
- The bag has little extra room for additional items.
Our top choice of the three kits we reviewed is the Pet First Aid Kit by fab fur gear. This kit is veterinary approved and comes with lots of extras, including a tourniquet and an emergency warming blanket. Besides gauze and tape, there are specialized bandages such as compress, triangular, and two sizes of PBT stretchable bandages. And with extra space in the sturdy canvas bag, you can add other items to the kit.
With this kit, you’ll be able to head out hiking with Fido and never have to worry about being unprepared for an accident or injury.