Capturing your dog’s paw prints or allowing your dog to create their own art is a fun way to make memories with your pet. But, before you and your pup start working on your next Van Gogh, it’s essential you know the basics of painting with your pet (like selecting a paint safe for dog paws) to ensure that you and your dog have a fun and safe time. If you’re looking for dog safe paint for your dogs paws ready on! We also cover dog safe ink and ink pads here!
Choosing The Right Paint
This may seem like a no-brainer, but certain paints can contain chemicals and skin irritants that may not agree with your dog, especially if they have sensitive skin. Be sure to find a non-toxic paint for dogs that is AP certified non-toxic by the ACMI. As a general rule of thumb, if it’s safe for children, it’s safe for your pet.
Washable paint is a popular choice since it can help limit any additional mess and it washes off of paws more easily. This type of paint is easy to get off of hands (and paws), and it will also come off most fabrics and materials, should you have an accident.
Of course, you can use paint that isn’t washable, but you’ll want to exercise caution, so you can prevent a mess. Also, be sure to wash your dog’s paws before the paint has the opportunity to dry.
More serious crafters and artists favor acrylic paint due to its permanence and lightfastness. In other words, it’s more resistant to fading, and it will last for a very long time.
While some acrylic paints are washable, there are many others that aren’t. So, if you’re concerned with preventing a mess, you may want to choose a washable option.
This affordable paint is a popular choice for aspiring young artists because it mixes well with other colors, and it’s cheap. It’s not as durable or permanent as acrylic paint, and it’s usually washable. These paints are also a good option for painting with your dog.
From beginners to serious artists, watercolors are a favorite medium to paint with. Watercolor paw prints will appear thin and translucent compared to acrylic or tempera paint. This paint is easy to wash off from surfaces and your dog’s paws, and it allows you to create prints that are a bit more subtle and delicate than other paints. Watercolors aren’t lightfast, and they’re the least permanent.
Paint Safe For Dog Paws Reviews
Whether you’re looking for an affordable option or an artist quality paint, you and your dog will be able to create your next masterpiece with these paints.
Crayola Washable Kid’s Paint – Best Budget Pick
- Washable Kids' Paint in six different colors: blue, violet, green, red, yellow, orange
- Premium washable quality - easily washes from skin and most washable clothing
- Important in teaching children to recognize colors and to mix secondary colors
- Makes painting "worry free" for parents
- 6 assorted bottles 2oz Washable 3+ Kids' Paint
Crayola has been creating art supplies for children for well over 100 years, and the supplies they make are safe, affordable, and perfect for an art project with your pup.
These tempera paints come in all the colors of the rainbow, and the colors can be mixed to create new shades as well. They also wash out very quickly, which helps to make this one of the easiest to use dog safe paints available. As you would expect, they’re certified non-toxic.
- Low Price
- Bold, easy to mix colors
- Washes off easily
- Doesn’t include black
- Smells strongly
Apple Acrylic Paint 18 Color Set – Best Overall
- Quality selection and value
- Formulated for use on all surfaces including wood, styrofoam, plaster, terra cotta and tin
- Colors glide on smoothly, dry quickly and stay beautiful as the day they were painted
- Can be brushed, stamped, stenciled or sponged on
- Easy cleanup with soap and water
If you’re looking to take your art projects with your dog to the next level, this impressive kit may be the best choice for you.
The 18 assorted colors are vibrant and durable, and the paint is very easy to apply. These acrylic paints can be used on virtually any surface with excellent results. While they are washable, they don’t wash out quite as easily as other options so that cleanup may take a bit longer.
You can also expect to create something that will stand the test of time, as these Apple paints are among the most permanent non-toxic and washable paints you’ll find.
- Bright, vibrant colors
- Professional results
- Longest lasting
- A bit more difficult to wash out than other washable paints
U.S Art Supply Washable Tempera Paint – Best Value
- A full selection of 18 unique eye-catching vibrant colors at your disposal
- Perfect for the young aspiring artist, as these washable colors are fun, safe, and easy to use
- Multi-purpose tempera paint for kids, students and teachers for use creating art, crafts and poster projects on almost any surface
- Colors are easy to apply, have a creamy consistency and provide excellent coverage
- Cleans up with soap and water. Formulated to be washable from the hands and most machine washable clothing. Repeat washing in warm water may be required to prevent staining
The washable paints from U.S Art Supply provide a vibrant color selection and quality results for an affordable price that may be the best value paint you’ll find.
This kit includes six primary colors, six pearlescent paints, and six neon paints so that you can experiment with different textures and paint styles. These paints wash out easily, they’re certified non-toxic, and they make a smart choice for most art projects. Plus, each jar of paint costs under a dollar per bottle.
Unfortunately, these paints aren’t as lightfast or permanent as acrylic options, but they get the job done for virtually any project.
- Selection of primary, neon and pearlescent colors
- Easy to wash out
- Great value
- Not as permanent as acrylic paints
Picking a Winner
Painting with your pup is a great way to make some fun memories with your beloved pet while creating a keepsake that will last forever. While virtually any non-toxic paint will do, there’s one paint on this list that rises to the top.
Apple Acrylic paints offer professional level quality and a rich and vibrant array of colors. Unlike some other paints, they stand the test of time very well. If you’re looking to create art with your dog that’s made to last, Apple Acrylic paints may be your best option.
Last update on 2018-05-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API