• Home  / 
  • Fruits
  •  /  Are Peaches Safe for Dogs to Eat?

Are Peaches Safe for Dogs to Eat?

Peaches are a delightful treat, especially when you get one of those perfectly ripe fruits that have just the right amount of juice in them. As you’re happily slurping on your plump peach, your dog might become enticed by the sounds you’re making. Before you pass some of your peach onto your dog, take some of the following into consideration.

Can Your Dog Have Peaches?

The peach itself is relatively safe for dogs. The fruit and its skin are full of vitamins and nutrients. It’s filled with vitamin A, which has been shown to prevent certain kinds of cancers. Vitamin C is essential to a healthy immune system to ward off illnesses and infections and peaches are practically oozing with vitamin C which is also healthy for dogs!

Peaches also have a relatively high amount of protein for a fruit, making this an excellent food for tissue repairs after strenuous exercise or a small injury. The combination of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients help manage proper organ function, especially in helping dogs liver and kidneys eliminate toxins.

Warning – Don’t Feed your Dog Peach Pits!

The peach pit is actually very bad for dogs. Many people don’t know that the pits of certain fruits, including the peach, have potent levels of cyanide (this occurs naturally). It has enough cyanide in it to effectively poison a dog, depending on its size. By the time the owners realize there’s something wrong with the dog, the poisoning will usually have progressed quite a bit.

If you don’t know that your dog has eaten a peach pit, it can be difficult to find out what your dog is reacting to. Signs of cyanide poisoning include dilated pupils, excessive salivation, and dizziness. Some dogs stumble around like they’re drunk or are unable to stand up, these are all symptoms that your dog could of been poisened by eating a peach pit.

Choking Hazards – Dogs and Peach Pits

Depending on your dog’s size, it’s also possible that the pit is big enough to cause an intestinal obstruction, which almost always requires abdominal surgery to remove. This is a very good reason alone to call the vet if your dog has swallowed a pit because intestinal obstructions are fatal if they aren’t treated.

If the dog survives an obstruction that has been left to sit without surgery, they can lose some of their intestine because the tissue actually dies around the obstruction.

The pits can also lodge quite easily in the throat, obstructing their breathing. If the dog chews the pit, they’re swallowing very sharp, rough pieces of material that are very abrasive to both the throat and the small intestine.

If your dog is a known trash digger, throw away pits in a receptacle where they can’t be reached. Skip the indoor trash can and toss them away in the outdoor trash bin. Many dogs who ingest the pits actually get them from the trash and not from inside the peach itself.

Only Feed Plain Peaches to Your Dog

There are endless recipes available for peaches. No matter how much you love these recipes, it’s pretty much guaranteed none of them are good for your dog. From heavy amounts of sugar to a variety of spices, your dog isn’t equipped to digest any of them.

It’s also important to note that peaches that come in heavy syrup (like canned peaches) will make your dog quite ill. If you’re planning on sharing, remove the flesh from your peach and give them just the peach itself.

Remember that anything outside of a dog’s regular diet should be given with caution. Peaches can be good for a dog if they’re given in small, infrequent amounts because too many peaches can cause diarrhea or loose stools. If you think of peaches as a rare treat, your dog will actually benefit from them.

Free Dog Training Videos

Discover The Quick And Easy Way To An Obedient Dog WITHOUT Spending Hours Of Training & Thousands Of Dollars! This FREE video series will reveal the method that has your dog CHOOSING to obey you, every time!