Can Dogs Eat Acorns?
As a dog owner, you’re aware of the typical canine hazards in your home. What your dog has access to in your home and garage is easily controlled, but when it comes to hazards in your yard, at parks, and on hikes isn’t as consistent. Trees, plants, mushrooms–they’re all items that present a potential risk to canines.
Do you know what hazards lurk in your yard? Dogs will chew on anything and I do mean anything, while in the outdoors they will find a comfortable spot and munch on an acorn they just found but the question is can dogs eat acorns without any harm? Short answer, I wish there were no acorns on the planet!
Dogs are work from the get-go! They are your second child and will always demand your full attention. You have to train them, feed them, and be responsive to all their silly tail wagging. So coming back to the question “Can dogs eat acorns” is necessary to answer.
The query that can dogs eat acorns has been bothering many pet owners for a long time. The shortest answer to that question is a simple NO. Dogs can’t eat acorns. Acorns are those delicious nuts, which can prove to be enormously destructive to your dog. Doubting how eating acorns can hurt dogs? Isn’t fruitful. Then you must be aware of the fact that the outer shell of acorn contains Gallotannin acid, which is bad for the digestive system of the dog. It can cause food poisoning.
Are Acorns Safe for dogs? What about Oak Leaves?
Acorns contain gallotanins that cause stomach and kidney problems in dogs. Larger dogs have been reported to ingest acorns and only feel mild stomach pain. Smaller dogs can get the acorns stuck in their food pipe which causes obstruction and irritation. So are acorns safe for dogs? Well in moderation your pooch might only feel a bit of an upset stomach but ingestion in large quantities may be dangerous.
Are Acorns Toxic to Dogs?
Yes, acorns are a danger to dogs. These cute little nuts seem harmless enough, but they contain something called Gallotannin. It’s a form of tannin, an acid found in many common foods like coffee and tea. When dogs eat acorns in the spring or fall, they often get sick from the tannin found in the acorn’s shell.
The Gallotannin has a number of effects on the body, and it can kill dogs if they eat a copious amount of acorns because the acid targets the kidneys.
What Can Happen If Your Dog Eats Acorns
Dogs like to roam their yards and eat anything that looks tasty. Some dogs enjoy the taste of acorns, and others simply like to eat anything they can swallow. These are also the dogs who like to eat things like rocks.
Gastritis From Acorns
Vets agree acorn ingestion usually results in an inflammation of the stomach and not much more. Smaller dogs who have eaten a fair amount sometimes end up with explosive, very frequent bloody diarrhea known as hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE).
Dogs diagnosed with HGE need to be hospitalized and put on IV fluids and antibiotics to keep them hydrated and free of secondary infections. HGE isn’t fatal if it’s treated quickly, but it is a scary thing to see your dog go through. Anybody whose dog has had HGE can tell you it’s one of the worst smells you’ll ever experience.
Small dogs, puppies, and seniors take longer to recover and are at a higher risk of complications, meaning you should get them into the vet at the first sign of bloody diarrhea or vomiting.
Intestinal Obstruction from Acorns
Intestinal obstructions are very serious, regardless of the age or size of your dog or what the obstruction is. Signs of an intestinal obstruction include vomiting immediately after eating or drinking, diarrhea or very little to no bowel movements, abdominal pain, lethargy, and pale gums.
Obstructions are 100 percent fatal if they aren’t properly addressed by the vet, and most require surgery to remove them. Minor obstructions can sometimes be shaken loose with continuous, heavy IV fluids, but this isn’t the typical outcome. Surgery is invasive and requires a significant recovery time, and the risk for secondary infections is significant.
If your dog is small and you catch them munching on acorns, call your vet immediately. Don’t induce vomiting at home with hydrogen peroxide. Just because they were able to swallow it doesn’t mean it’s small enough to come back up safely, and you risk the acorn lodging in the throat.
Your vet will want you to monitor for signs of an obstruction and possibly have you come in for x-rays to evaluate the size of the intestines versus the acorn(s).
Kidney Damage/Failure in Dogs
In cases where the kidneys are affected, dogs have increased thirst, more frequent urination that decreases in volume, dark yellow/pungent urine, and lethargy. Blood work will present elevated kidney values, showing the kidneys have been affected by the acorn’s tannins. Kidney failure occurs if the dog ate a copious amount of acorns and received treatment.
Preventing Your Dog From Acorn Ingestion
If you have oak trees in your yard or nearby, you should keep your yard well maintained if your dog is a snacker. It can be hard to keep your yard completely free of acorns in the spring and fall, so monitor your dog’s outdoor time closely and try to keep the acorns picked up as much as possible. You could also cordon off an area of your yard that acorns won’t drop into to keep your pup out of them.
A couple of acorns won’t typically make your dog very sick or even kill them. The biggest risk is an intestinal obstruction in smaller dogs. Take the necessary precautions to keep acorns out of your dog’s system and save yourself a significant amount of money at the vet.
Hi, I’m Jacob. I’ve been a professional blogger for over 6 years and in that time I’ve written countless blogs that have reached millions of people. I am a DVM by profession but all you need to know is that I LOVE DOGS!
SDO started way back in 2015 on a whim. I’d read a couple of dozen blogs online while searching for the best products for my pup and the amount of misinformation online from unqualified sources giving potentially harmful advice shocked me. Then suddenly it hit me, hey, I can do this too! And I can do this RIGHT! Without even knowing what a blog was or how it makes money. I jumped right in to share the years of knowledge I have of dogs with the world.
Within a few months I realized that people were reacting extremely positively to my blogs. My website had taken off and I would receive countless emails from happy dog owners telling me how my website was a God-send for them and their pups were doing so much better after they followed my advice. I would get so many questions as well, and in my attempt to consolidate and answer all the questions I would get from my readers, my blog has evolved to the website you see today. Over the years I encouraged my good friend Tina who is also a DVM to share her experiences and better guide the people who read us. By the Grace of God we now reach close a million people a year and we get such a warm feedback on how we have made life easier for new dog owners all over the globe.
As a dog owner only you would know the feeling you get when you come home at night and you pup is there at the door wagging their tail in sheer joy. The bond a person and their dog share can not be explained in mere words. Yet dogs are like children, and they need to be cared for and trained, and that’s why Smart Dog Owner exists, to give you the precise and exact information that you seek about your dog. No matter how minute that detail is, chances are we will be there to help you out! As someone who has raised 7 of her own dogs. Jacob will always help you out.