For most parents, baby proofing the home is a never-ending job. While most things around the home are easy to baby proof, your dog’s food and water dishes present quite a challenge. Fortunately, there are a few baby proof dog bowl options that allow you to keep your baby safe from your dog’s food and water.
Today, we’ll cover everything you need to know about your baby proof dog bowl options and take a closer look at some of the best options that are available.
How to Choose a Baby Proof Dog Bowl
Before you choose a baby proof dog bowl, there are a few factors you’ll want to consider, such as:
- How many dogs you have
- How large your dogs are
- Your budget
Some of the baby proof feeders you’ll find are only practical for use with one pet. If you have multiple dogs, you’ll want to look into a model that will allow you to use it to feed more than just one dog.
Most of the products on the market are designed for use by small breeds and cats. While they do a great job of baby proofing your dog’s food, they may not be suitable for a larger breed. Before making a choice, you’ll want to be sure the feeder you’re considering will work for your dog.
Some of these baby proof smart feeders can run well upwards of $100. While they do provide some great features, and do a good job at baby proofing your dog’s food, not everyone is interested in shelling out serious money for a baby proof dog bowl. Shopping by budget can help you narrow down the field to just dog bowls that fit your price range.
Best Overall – SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder
- Key Benefits: Prevents food stealing and stress at mealtimes in multi-pet homes, keeps your pets healthier by controlling portions and helping to keep weight under control, saves money by not overfeeding expensive prescription foods and helping to avoid vet bills related to pet health conditions.
- Great for Pets on Prescription Diets: Holds 13.5 fl. oz, wet or dry pet food. The lid closes to form a seal with the neoprene lip, helping to retain moisture and to keep food fresher longer.
- Airtight storage keeps the food Microchip Compatibility: Works with 9 (Avid Secure), 10 (FDXA) and 15 (FDXB) digit microchip numbers; if unsure of your pet's microchip number, you can check with your veterinarian, pet shelter or animal rescue. Automatic Cat Feeder opens when the assigned pet microchip ID approaches, and closes when it moves away. Simple one button programming.fresh, Bowl capacity 400 ml or two pouches of wet food
- Three Year Warranty. Veterinarian Recommended.
- Do you have a houseful of pets? Does one cat steal the other's cat food? Does your dog steal the cat's food? Stressful Feeding times? The Microchip Pet Feeder makes feeding times so much easier! It uses the pet's Microchip ID or by wearing a lightweight RFID collar tag to communicate with the feeder to open for that specific pet. All feeders come standard with one tag (unit stores 32 ID's); additional collar tags can be purchased separately if necessary. Ideally one feeder per pet.
If you’re looking for a surefire way to keep your dog’s food safe from your baby, the SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder is worth taking a closer look at.
This feeder is loaded with cutting-edge technology that helps to ensure that your dog is the only one who can get to their food. When your dog comes near the feeder, the lid opens allowing them to eat their food. But, when anyone else comes near the feeder, the lid remains locked, preventing access to the food inside.
The SureFeed works with RFID technology. If your dog is microchipped, the SureFeed can read their microchip to identify them and allow access to their food. If your dog isn’t microchipped, you can attach the included collar tag to your dog’s collar, and they can gain access to their bowl with the collar tag.
The sealed design of the SureFeed helps to keep food fresher while keeping baby’s prying hands out of the dog food. The lid also keeps debris and flies from entering into your dog’s food dish.
The SureFeed can be programmed for as many as 32 different pets, and it runs for up to six months on four D-cell batteries.
The SureFeed is not only ideal for keeping your baby away from your dog’s food, but it also is helpful in homes with multiple pets, since it can keep other animals from stealing food.
The SureFeed system isn’t cheap, and it doesn’t provide a solution to your baby splashing around in your dog’s water. But, it does a great job of securing your dog’s food so that your baby can’t play with it or eat it.
What We Like
- Only opens for your dog – Babies are locked out
- Programmable memory for up to 32 pets
- Locking lid keeps food fresh and free from debris
- 3-year warranty
What Could Be Better
- Doesn’t provide a solution for dog’s water dish
- Only works with smaller dog breeds
Best Value – OurPets Smart Link Intelligent Pet Feeder
- Bluetooth pet health monitoring system sends you notifications only if there is a change in your pet's behavior, aiding in the communication between you and your pet
- Intelligent Pet Link smartphone app makes it easy to monitor your pet's health, product performance, maintenance and usage
- Smart Link Tag on your pet's collar activates the feeder to open and close lid, keeping food fresh and ideal for pets on special diets
- Perfect for multi-pet households*
- Two-year warranty from the manufacturer
If you love the idea of a smart feeder that can lock your child out of your dog’s bowl but aren’t keen on spending over $100 on one, then the Smart Link Intelligent Feeder from OurPets may be a solid fit for your needs.
This feeder from OurPets works similarly to the SureFeed system. You attach a collar tag to your dog’s collar, and it allows them access to the food bowl. When your pup comes near the bowl, the lid opens, allowing them to eat. When your baby or another pet that doesn’t have a collar tag comes to the feeder, it remains locked, so they can’t get inside.
While the feeder is designed for use with food, it can also be used with water, instead. OurPets also manufacturers an item specifically for water. The smart waterer provides running, filtered water to your pet whenever they come near the waterer.
They even have locking litter boxes available for households with cats. That particular product can be especially helpful since every parent’s nightmare is coming around the corner to find their baby playing in the cat’s litter box.
OurPets has also developed a comprehensive mobile app that you can use on your iOS or Android devices. The app captures useful information about your pet’s eating habits, and it can help to alert you to any problems with their health.
The one downside with this feeder is that it only includes one RFID tag. For households with multiple dogs, you’ll need to purchase additional collar tags to allow them to access the feeder.
What We Like
- More affordable than the Surelink feeder
- Can be used for food or water
- Mobile app provides detailed feeding and health information
- Compact design
What Could Be Better
- Only includes one RFID tag – additional tags available at extra cost
Best Budget – Ray Allen Buddy Bowl Spill Proof Water Bowl
- Spill-Proof Water Bowl
- 64 Ounce Capacity
- Ideal for Travel
- Made in the USA
For many parents pulling double duty with both dogs and a baby, the water bowl is their biggest concern. All it takes is a few seconds for your baby to turn the dog’s water bowl into their own personal water park. Fortunately, the Buddy Bowl has solved this issue at an affordable price.
This baby proof dog water bowl features a three-piece design. The lower bowl acts as a reservoir for your water, a specially designed cone goes inside of the bowl, and only allows a certain amount of water into the bowl, and the cover prevents water from spilling out of the bowl.
Once assembled, the Buddy Bowl is spill-proof and splash-proof, and completely locks the water inside, even if it’s turned completely upside down, or thrown across the room, which helps to make it completely baby-proof.
The Ray Allen Buddy Bowl is BPA-free and made from non-toxic polyethylene. Each bowl is made in the USA, and it’s dishwasher safe as well. The Buddy Bowl comes in multiple sizes to fit the needs of different sized dogs. 32, 44 and 64-ounce sizes are available.
Not only does the Buddy Bowl keep your dog’s water safe from babies (and babies safe from your dog’s water) but it’s also helpful for rambunctious dogs that tend to knock over their water dish.
What We Like
- Easy to use
- BPA-free and non-toxic
- Available in multiple sizes for different breeds
What Could Be Better
- Only baby-proofs the water dish – you’re still on your own for food
Each of the products we’ve covered today makes great options to keep your baby out of your dog’s food. Our overall favorite is the OurPets Smart Link Intelligent Feeder, thanks in large part to its ease of use, and comprehensive approach to securing your dog’s food.
Frequently Asked Questions About Baby Safe Dog Bowls
Are there any toddler-proof dog bowls?
Toddlers love to splash in the dog water and create their own mini water park. If you’re tired of cleaning up messes, you can try spill-proof water bowls. The most popular option is the Great American Spillproof Bowl, a bowl that is advertised as almost completely spill-proof. Some water can still be taken out of it, but your toddler will have to try really hard to get anything out.
Are dog bowls drowning hazards for toddlers or babies?
Drowning is the leading cause of injury-related death in children ages 1 to 4. It doesn’t cross the mind of many parents that dog water bowls are a source of household child drownings across the globe. It’s important to be reminded that small children can drown in as little as 1 inch of water, and dog water bowls often contain far more water than that. If you have a crawling baby or toddler, child-safety experts recommend keeping these bowls in areas where your child can’t reach them or invest in child-proof bowls.
Last update on 2020-01-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API