When you’re looking for the best dog air mattress, you probably have a specific problem to address. Many veterinarians recommend air mattresses for dogs with hip dysplasia or severe arthritis. Or maybe you travel constantly and don’t want your pet without a comfy place to sleep. Whatever your reason, we’ve found the best dog air mattresses available for your companion. Let’s take a look!
How to Choose an Air Mattress for Your Dog
Although many people love sharing their bed with their furry friend, sometimes it’s not possible. When you’re traveling sleep accommodations are easy with an inflatable mattress, but if you’re concerned about your pet, you can settle for an air bed that’s a bit sturdier.
When you’re looking for an air mattress for your dog keep these aspects in mind:
- Puncture proof
- Ease of cleaning
- Storage options
These 4 categories can help you decide which dog air mattress is best for you and your furry friend. Size, puncture proof, and cleaning are the most important, but some pet owners should consider storage as well.
Size is the primary factor for most pet people because although you want your pet to stay comfortable, you need some walking space in your home too. Many people turn to a dog proof air mattress for camping trips or their RV which is even more limited when you consider space.
After size, you need a puncture-proof air mattress. Finally, storage options are only important if you’re planning on using the air mattress when traveling rather than all the time.
Always keep your dog’s needs in mind. If you know they have difficulty getting into tall beds, avoid anything over 3 inches high. However, if your dog needs extra support for the hips or back, go for an option that uses a memory foam support system!
Of course, it’s also important to account for your budget. The good news is that there are so many options available you can find something in your budget. When you step outside of the box of pet-specific products you can come across some affordable inflatable toddler beds, or inflatable supports that are perfect dog air mattresses.
However, if budget isn’t a problem you can spoil your dog with a puncture proof, supportive, and easy to access dog air mattress.
Best Overall Picks
1) Luxury Small Dog Bed by Iconic
If you have a small pooch at your home, well this is the by far the best mattress-bed for him. This product has been tested personally and although it ain’t an air mattress, the cushion of the small dog bed is perfectly comfy for your dog.
Here is an Owner’s Review on Amazon:
“Our 4pound Yorkie ran in and snuggled down as soon as we got it out of the box.
Couldn’t be happier with the purchase!”
- 3-IN-1 DESIGN – The ICONYC Cat Bed comes in a unique 3-in-1 design and acts like a cat house by switching between 3 different shapes. Igloo Shape – a perfect retreat for cats when they need to feel safe and protected. Sofa Shape – perfect for nestling and cuddling. Nest Shape – Perfect for cats to roll around and laze in.
- HIGH QUALITY CONSTRUCTION – The pet bed is made with high density foam so that it retains its shape for long periods of times, even after frequently switching between shapes. The outer layer of the cat cave is made of soft micro plush fiber, the inner material is made of premium brushed polyester, and the roof is made of high quality fleece.
- FLEECE PILLOW AND BLANKET – The comfy cat bed comes with a luxurious fleece pet pillow and blanket set. The pillow is stuffed with super soft PP cotton, irresistible to cats. Give your cat the royal treatment they deserve.
- ANTI-SKID OXFORD BASE – The ICONYC cat cave comes with an anti-skid and non-slip Oxford base, making sure the cat bed stays in its place even when housed by the rowdiest of cats. They could be having a party in there and the ICONYC cat igloo bed won’t budge.
- SUITABLE FOR CATS, KITTENS AND SMALL PETS – The size of this pet bed is 40x40x35 cm, making it big enough to house small dog breeds (such as Chihuahuas and Pugs) and other pets like rabbits, ferrets, hamsters, foxes etc.
2) Precision Pet Snoozy Orto Air Therapeutic
- Therapeutic, inflatable bed
- Gives your pet consistent support
- Heavy-duty PVC resists extreme clawing and scratching
- Easy to sanitize and re-inflate when necessary
- 42" diameter
Hands down the best overall dog air mattress are the Precision Pet Snoozy Orto Air Therapeutic Inflatable Bed. It balances size with features and is outstanding although it has a few setbacks. The bed itself is easy to clean, deflate and reflate. Ease of cleaning is a must for anyone with dog’s who shed. Typically dog air mattresses have a removable cover that is machine washable.
When it comes to size, the 42 inch round bed is the only size option, but it works out well for any dog up to 55 pounds. This bed is great for a puppy to grow up with as they won’t have problems getting into it when they’re young, and you won’t need to upgrade as they age.
The Precision Peg Snoozy Orto Air Therapeutic depends on functionality to withstand typical dog behavior. The fluffy material allows nesters to fidget and dig, while the durable material can withstand scratching for years.
While the material resists scratching, pawing, and punctures, it also sits low to the floor for easy access. The fact that this bed sits so low to the ground but still distributes pressure makes it a top pick for older dogs. A bonus here is that this pet bed is odor, bug, and bacteria resistant.
The Precision Peg Snoozy Orto Air Therapeutic Inflatable Bed comfortably holds dogs up to 55 pounds which is suitable for most breeds. Although the 42” round bed hits most of the quality aspects of a great dog air bed, it does have some typical issues.
Any air mattress will lose air over time. You should refill the bed ever so often because you don’t want the air to deflate completely. The attachments are easy to use, but you’ll be just as well off with a standard hand pump. It takes very little effort or time to fill, or refill, this air bed.
What We Like
- Size fits most small-medium sized dogs
- Great for dogs with arthritis and hip dysplasia
- Holds up to 55 pounds easily
- Sits low to the ground
- Easy to deflate and reflate
What Could Be Better
- Requires occasional reflation
- Requires regular washing
- Not suitable for large dogs
Best Value Pick – Hiccapop Inflatable Toddler Travel Bed
- HOME, GRANDMA'S, CAMPING OR VACATION - hiccapop's travel toddler bed is for modern families on the go. The Original hiccapop inflatable toddler bed is lightweight, portable and offers a LIFETIME guarantee. XL travel bag & electric turbo pump included.
- ONLY 4-BUMPER KIDS TRAVEL BED - UNMATCHED QUALITY & DURABILITY - 4-bumper protection for maximum safety. hiccapop’s inlay-enforced vinyl is 40% thicker than its nearest competitor, making it virtually puncture-proof. Reinforced weld-seams and a heavy duty air valve insure against air leakage. And our velvet flocked mattress is the smoothest in its class, so your little one can sleep more soundly.
- TRANSITIONAL BED - Kids cannot sleep in adult beds before they are 24 months old, yet most outgrow a crib at 18 months. So what do you do during those awkward 6 months? The hiccapop kids air mattress is the perfect solution for those “tween times” that every parent dreads. And when you’re done, use it for overnighters with friends, or better yet, your next little hiccapopper!
- INFLATES IN UNDER 30 SECONDS - Fits all standard crib sheets and blankets. When it’s time to stow, simply fold, roll and go.
- EXTRA TALL - EXTRA LONG BED RAIL BUMPERS FOR ADDED SAFETY - Our toddler blow up mattress has sides that are 25% taller & 25% longer than nearest competitor. BPA, phthalate and lead free. EXCEEDS ALL FEDERAL STANDARDS FOR CHILD SAFETY. There is no safer travel bed on the market today at any price PUMP NOT COMPATIBLE OUTSIDE OF USA.
There are very few air mattresses made specifically with dogs in mind. However, when you’re looking for a dog proof air mattress, you have a much wider range of toddler sized inflatable mattresses which are puncture proof. Toddler sized mattresses have a few advantages over pet specific air beds including easy storage, and size.
With a large dog or multiple dogs, you may realize it’s difficult to find a single bed that they comfortably fit on.
This mattress uses a vinyl that is 40% thicker than standard air mattresses and is about 5 feet long by 3 feet wide. These dimensions are perfect for a permanent spot on the bedroom floor, or for traveling. But what makes this toddler inflatable bed the best value for a dog air mattress, is the price and guarantee.
Not only is the air bed affordable, but it also has a lifetime guarantee that covers punctures, leaks, and pump issues. The lifetime guarantee made it the most valuable not only because of how much it covers but also because of how easy it is to work with the company.
Although the bed will likely experience a puncture or pump issue someday, it’s great to know that you can easily call the company and have a replacement on its way without any hassle. The downside is that this toddler bed doesn’t come with a washable cover.
When you’re looking at the surface of this air mattress, it is easy to clean, but you should look into standard crib sheets. Even thin, cotton crib sheets can help catch dog hair and odor, but they don’t provide a fluffy surface.
What We Like
- Easy to get into
- Great size for large dogs
- Puncture proof
- Lifetime guarantee
- Inflates in less than a minute
What Could Be Better
- Doesn’t have a cover
- May be difficult to clean
- No fluffy surface for nesting or digging
Best Budget Pick – Lightspeed Outdoor Self Inflating Travel Dog Bed
- Open size 42" X 32" X 2"; rolled size 32" X 6"; weight 3. 6 lbs.
- 1. 5" Inner foam mattress self inflates with a twist of a nozzle; adjustments can be made by blowing air in or pushing air out
- Machine washable puncture resistant and water resistant bottom and sides protect the bed from rough surfaces while the fleece top keeps your furry friend comfortable
- Built in nylon Buckle straps for easy storage and transport
- Customer friendly 1-year included
If you’re on a budget, there’s no better option than the Lightspeed Outdoor Self Inflating Travel Dog Bed with a Fleece cover. This model is designed specifically for dogs, so it isn’t very tall and Is the perfect size for any small to medium size breed.
The size of the Lightspeed Outdoor Self Inflating Travel Dog Bed is about 2 inches tall by 3.5 feet wide and a little less than 3 feet long. This bed is great as a staple in your home, or RV, as it doesn’t take much space, is exceptionally light and folds up neatly when not in use. On the underside of the bed are nylon buckles that make it easy to store and transport once folded.
For the price, you can’t beat this option. Because it’s less than a hundred dollars, stores easily are the perfect size for most dogs, is easy to clean and puncture proof you find it difficult to turn down this option. Keep in mind that this isn’t just the cheapest air bed available for your pet. It has a lot of great features too.
The inflating portion of the mattress uses an inner foam mattress as protection and providing extra support. The memory foam support combined with the low height makes this a perfect option for older dogs that are experiencing hip dysplasia or arthritis. The support redistributes weight as your dog settles in which can make sleeping painless.
The only downside is that the fleece top doesn’t hold up very well after repeated washing. It’s great to have an easy to wash material. However, it would be better if it was durable enough to resist regular laundering. After a while, it starts to shrink which makes it shift on the sides if your dog fidgets.
What We Liked
- Fleece cover
- Great for nesting
- Great price
- Puncture proof
- Inner foam mattress
What Could Be Better
- Requires regular washing
- Cover doesn’t hold up to washing after a while
- Cover eventually shrinks
Your pet will surely thank you for the comfort of an air mattress whether it’s while you travel or has its place in the living room. The best overall dog air mattress is the Precision Pet Snoozy Orto Air Therapeutic because of how easy it is to use, and its size. Although it’s not meant for large dogs, your small to medium sized dogs will appreciate that it’s low to the ground and puncture proof.
Hi, I’m Jacob. I’ve been a professional blogger for over 6 years and in that time I’ve written countless blogs that have reached millions of people. I am a DVM by profession but all you need to know is that I LOVE DOGS!
SDO started way back in 2015 on a whim. I’d read a couple of dozen blogs online while searching for the best products for my pup and the amount of misinformation online from unqualified sources giving potentially harmful advice shocked me. Then suddenly it hit me, hey, I can do this too! And I can do this RIGHT! Without even knowing what a blog was or how it makes money. I jumped right in to share the years of knowledge I have of dogs with the world.
Within a few months I realized that people were reacting extremely positively to my blogs. My website had taken off and I would receive countless emails from happy dog owners telling me how my website was a God-send for them and their pups were doing so much better after they followed my advice. I would get so many questions as well, and in my attempt to consolidate and answer all the questions I would get from my readers, my blog has evolved to the website you see today. Over the years I encouraged my good friend Tina who is also a DVM to share her experiences and better guide the people who read us. By the Grace of God we now reach close a million people a year and we get such a warm feedback on how we have made life easier for new dog owners all over the globe.
As a dog owner only you would know the feeling you get when you come home at night and you pup is there at the door wagging their tail in sheer joy. The bond a person and their dog share can not be explained in mere words. Yet dogs are like children, and they need to be cared for and trained, and that’s why Smart Dog Owner exists, to give you the precise and exact information that you seek about your dog. No matter how minute that detail is, chances are we will be there to help you out! As someone who has raised 7 of her own dogs. Jacob will always help you out.
Last update on 2021-09-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API