Pesticides have the potential to improve agricultural output and it keeps your family safe from harmful bugs. When it comes to your home or personal use, the application of pesticides should always err on the side of non-toxic and pet-friendly solutions.
Animals are naturally curious, so it is easy to imagine your four-legged family members accidentally ingesting pesticides. Before you saturate your garden, be sure to purchase one of the best dog-friendly pesticides available.
Why Should You Purchase Pet-Friendly Pesticides?
The use of pet-friendly pesticides may truly be a life or death situation with your own pet or that of a neighbor. Practice smart lawn care if you want your yard to be pet-friendly but also free of pests.
The best dog-friendly pesticides are effective and safe for your four-legged family members. The top brands on the market, like EcoSMART, are backed by scientific research and years of testing. Add these products to your repertoire for benefits like:
- A yard free of pests likely to carry disease
- Using pesticides that don’t harm the environment
- Creating a yard your dog can enjoy without concern for bugs or harmful pesticides
- Not irritating your pet’s skin even right after application
EcoSMART Organic Insect Killer, 10 Pound Bag
- Protects the environment with your purchase
- Uses only healthy botanical formulas to keep bugs out of the area
- Backed by fifteen years of research providing effectiveness
- The non-toxic formula will not contaminate groundwater
- Repellency characteristics so new bugs don’t enter your yard
- A slightly higher price than other options
- Requires application by hand if you want to apply to the entire space
Wondercide EcoTreat – Natural Outdoor Pest Control Concentrate
- KILLS & REPELS. A preventative and a treatment, this plant-powered spray is handcrafted with the purest natural essential oils. Kills mosquitoes, ants, fleas, ticks, roaches, flies, scorpions, crickets, chinch bugs, japanese beetles, no-see-ums, gnats, and more. Safe alternative to conventional pesticide sprays, baits, ant granules, zappers or foggers.
- SPRAY & PLAY! Safe for cats, dogs and people of all ages, with no wait time for drying or reentry into sprayed outside areas. Just mix desired amount of product into any applicator and fill to the top with recommended amount of water, spray your backyard, and enjoy.
- TREATS UP TO 10,000 SQUARE FEET. A bug control spray that can be safely used on lawns, gardens, patios, grass, picnic areas, playgrounds, vegetables, flowers, siding, brick, paint and more. Treat an existing pest infestation or for prevention. Application coverage depends on water pressure and walking speed. Our concentrates are a great refill to the Wondercide Ready-to-Use Outdoor Pest Control Spray. Applicator required (not included).
- TREAT NATURE WITH NATURE. Our plant-derived concentrates are effective and powered by natural essential oils. Can be used safely on yards, gardens (including edible gardens), patios, flowers, siding, brick, paint, and more. Non-harsh formula.
- POWERED BY NATURE, AS POWERFUL AS PERMETHRIN. Powered by cedar oil, our eco-friendly formula is proven to kill and repel pests. Safe around pets, kids, and beneficial insects like bees and butterflies when sprayed outdoors. Permethrin-Free.
Professionals and individuals purchase this dog-friendly pesticide for homes, offices, lawns, golf courses, parks, gardens, and even dog parks. Never worry about harming people, pets, or your property with this pest control product.
- Safe to use around children and pets even during application
- Manages hundreds of bugs and insects
- Easy application either with or without a sprayer
- Freshens a space with a cedar oil scent
- Won’t harm animals such as reptiles and beneficial insects
- Requires mixing before application
- Need to purchase a sprayer if you want a spray application
EcoSMART Organic Home Pest Control Spray
- FRESH SCENT: EcoSmart's Natural Indoor/Outdoor Home Pest Control eliminates ants, roaches, crickets, ticks and other household pests by contact with the help of essential oils, such as Rosemary, Clove and Thyme, so there's no overbearing, harsh, chemical smell- only a fresh scent and no bugs
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY: Our natural, plant-based formula kills home pests without harming fish, wildlife and does not contaminate groundwater supplies, so you can feel good about using EcoSmart
- CHILD AND PET FRIENDLY: Safe to use around children and pets (when used as directed)
- NO CHEMICAL: Take chemicals out of your lawn, garden and home equation with EcoSmart
- MADE IN THE USA
Although EcoSMART has another product on the list, this option is specifically for homes. Because all these home-based bugs are known for diseases, and the problems they cause for humans and animals, removing them from your yard makes all of the difference. Focus on bugs that impact your pet’s health with the application of this dog-friendly pesticides.
- It applies smoothly and comes with a sprayer.
- The product is safe to use around kids and pets.
- Years of research backs the EcoSMART brand.
- Not protected with a strong product warranty
Talstar Pro 96-Ounce Jug
- Bifenthrin 7.9%
- Talstar Professional Insecticide is for use around homes, commercial and non commercial structures, hospitals, hotels, motels, schools, and food processing facilities.
- Talstar can be mixed at a rate of .2oz per gallon to 2oz per gallon depending on the target insect. Please refer to the label or call us for exact mix rates.
An option for application inside, outside, and on the perimeter of your home, Talstar Pro is pet safe once it is dry. This is a highly-trusted brand of insecticide among professionals because it is effective on over 75 pests like ants, termites, spiders, fleas, ticks, cockroaches, and other common pests. This formula is good to use in every space including outdoor/indoor areas, turf, food handling areas, and nearly any other place in your home or building!
After you add this product to your outdoor space, the bugs that irritate both you and your pet will be gone.
- Leaves no stains, dries clear, odorless
- Doesn’t go away with rainfall and lasting up to three months
- Effective for over 75 pests
- Safe for use on surfaces inside the home
- Only safe for pets after drying
- Made with harsher chemicals than other options
Encourage a Healthy Yard and Healthy Dogs with These Products
Do you want a garden that is healthy and safe? With the application of any one of these pet-safe products, you can protect four-legged and two-legged family members from bugs, irritants, and other problem insects. The best dog-friendly pesticide option available on this list is the EcoSMART Organic Insect Killer.
It doesn’t damage your plants, is safe for animals, and is manufactured by the leading company out there in the world of eco-friendly pesticides. In fact, EcoSMART holds 40 United States patents and 55 foreign patents. Enjoy the benefits of a flourishing outdoor space by selecting any of the recommended pesticides on this list.
Frequently Asked Questions – Pet Safe Pesticides
How Long Should I Keep My Dog Away After Using Pesticides?
If you’ve applied pesticides to your lawn, times vary on when you should let your dog back out onto the grass. You can check the label on your particular product, but to be safe, you should wait 24-48 hours before letting your dog have free roam again.
What Happens If My Dog Walks On Grass With Pesticides?
If your dog has walked on grass after pesticide application, you should carefully and thoroughly rinse their paws, legs, and belly. If you notice any redness, touch base with your veterinarian to see if your dog should be seen.
Is TruGreen Safe To Use Around Dogs?
TruGreen is very safe to use if you have pets. Per the company, your pets and children can resume playing on lawns just two hours after application without needing to worry about toxicity or any adverse effects.
Is Spectracide Safe To Use Around Dogs?
Spectracide is safe to use in your lawn care, however, you shouldn’t allow your pets onto your grass immediately after application. If you’ve treated your lawn, it’s recommended to wait until it’s completely dried. Once dry, your pets are fine to go into the area again without any adverse effects.
- Kills weeds and grasses: Use on driveways and walkways, and around fences, trees, flower beds, shrubs and other areas in your yard
- Kills the root: Visible results as fast as 3 hours – replant new flowers, trees and shrubs the same weekend
- Rain-fast: Rainfall or watering 15 minutes after application will not wash away effectiveness
- Concentrate: Mix and apply with a tank sprayer – Spray to completely cover the leaves of the target vegetation
- Money-back: Results or your money back – see product label for details
Hi, I’m Jacob. I’ve been a professional blogger for over 6 years and in that time I’ve written countless blogs that have reached millions of people. I am a DVM by profession but all you need to know is that I LOVE DOGS!
SDO started way back in 2015 on a whim. I’d read a couple of dozen blogs online while searching for the best products for my pup and the amount of misinformation online from unqualified sources giving potentially harmful advice shocked me. Then suddenly it hit me, hey, I can do this too! And I can do this RIGHT! Without even knowing what a blog was or how it makes money. I jumped right in to share the years of knowledge I have of dogs with the world.
Within a few months I realized that people were reacting extremely positively to my blogs. My website had taken off and I would receive countless emails from happy dog owners telling me how my website was a God-send for them and their pups were doing so much better after they followed my advice. I would get so many questions as well, and in my attempt to consolidate and answer all the questions I would get from my readers, my blog has evolved to the website you see today. Over the years I encouraged my good friend Tina who is also a DVM to share her experiences and better guide the people who read us. By the Grace of God we now reach close a million people a year and we get such a warm feedback on how we have made life easier for new dog owners all over the globe.
As a dog owner only you would know the feeling you get when you come home at night and you pup is there at the door wagging their tail in sheer joy. The bond a person and their dog share can not be explained in mere words. Yet dogs are like children, and they need to be cared for and trained, and that’s why Smart Dog Owner exists, to give you the precise and exact information that you seek about your dog. No matter how minute that detail is, chances are we will be there to help you out! As someone who has raised 7 of her own dogs. Jacob will always help you out.
Last update on 2021-09-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API