A dog massager can be a great way to bond with your pet. Most importantly, it can help to provide elderly dogs, and dogs with inflammatory conditions with soothing relief from the pain they’re feeling. But, before you run out and purchase the first massager you see, you’ll want to do a bit of research.
Today, we’ll cover everything you need to know about dog massagers and share with you some of the best options that are currently available for your pup.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Dog Massager
There are a few things you’ll want to know before selecting a massager for your pup.
Why Does Your Dog Need a Massage?
One question you may have is why a massager is necessary in the first place. Massage is a powerful tool that humans have used to provide relaxation and relief for centuries. Just as humans can benefit from a massage, so can dogs. The benefits of massage include:
- Increased blood flow
- Increased circulation
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Reduces pain and swelling
- Helps you bond with your pet
Massaging your dog daily serves as a great bonding exercise between you and your pet. Since massage is such a good tool for reducing stress and anxiety, massage can be particularly helpful in times where your dog is feeling anxious, like when there are fireworks or a thunderstorm.
Where to Massage Your Dog
Depending on what your dog likes and dislikes, they’ll help answer this question for you. Most dogs love a good massage just about everywhere. But, some areas can be particularly helpful to massage, especially if your dog is older, or suffering from a condition which causes inflammation.
Massaging your dog’s joint areas, such as their shoulders and hips can work wonders to help reduce pain and inflammation. The back and chest are also areas where most dogs love to get a good massage. Also, most dogs love a good massage on their head and scalp as well.
How to Massage Your Dog
When it comes time to massage your dog, you’ll want to apply enough pressure to provide your dog with a soothing experience. But, be sure not to apply so much pressure that the massage becomes uncomfortable for your dog.
Take special care with dogs that are elderly, or are experiencing pain in their joints or muscles. In these cases, a light massage can usually provide great relief. But, a massage that’s too forceful can end up hurting the dog.
Best Overall – PetWell All Over Handheld Massager
- Provides soothing relief at home, on the road while traveling or just simply on the go by stimulating blood flow to muscles and joints and enhancing important pet-to-owner bonding
- Roller allows for long or short strokes for a customized total-body massage for small and large pets leaving them feeling more relaxed and happy
- The smooth rolling motion stimulates blood flow to muscles and joints, helping with pain relief from arthritis and inflammation, especially in aging pets
- The ergonomic, sure-grip handle offers a quick-release function for easy cleaning and fur removal
- Massaging effect of the roller helps release endorphins and enhances for all size dogs and cats or any other furry pets
This all over massager from PetWell may very well be the best dog massager option available, thanks to its ease of use and intuitive design.
This massager is compact, which makes it ideal for dogs of all sizes, as well as other pets. The massager features an ergonomic grip, which makes it comfortable to hold for long periods of time.
There’s also a quick release cap on top, which allows you to quickly and easily remove any pet hair that may get trapped inside the massager. The massaging ball is made from durable stainless steel, so you’ll be able to use the massager for years to come.
Thanks to its compact size, this massager is ideal for use practically anywhere. Whether you’re at home, on the road, or at the park, you can take this massager out and give your dog and soothing massage any time.
As for the massage itself, this model does a great job of providing a soothing, stimulating massage. When you massage your dog, you’ll be increasing blood flow to their muscles and joints, which can help to reduce inflammation. For this reason, this massager is ideal for use with elderly dogs, or any dogs who have degenerative inflammatory conditions, such as arthritis.
Perhaps best of all, since your dog is sure to love the relaxing massage, they’re getting, this message is also a great way to strengthen the bond between you and your pet.
What We Like
- Can be used on the dog’s entire body
- Made from quality materials
- Quick release cap for removing trapped hair
- Ergonomic handle is comfortable to use
What Could Be Better
- May be undersized for large dogs
Best Value – PetWell Back and Neck Reliever Massager
- Provides a gentle and calming massage by alleviating muscle tension and stiffness and easing your pets back, neck and shoulder discomfort
- Roller alleviates pain from arthritis or stiffness for all size dogs and cats or any other furry pets from a big day of play and exercise
- The curved handle is ergonomically designed to protect your pet’s spine as you massage
- Designed to hug the contours of your pet’s back and neck, but also works on the shoulders, chest and hips
- The textured grip lets you easily monitor the amount of pressure applied: lighter for sorer muscles or heavier for a deeper massage
Another ideal option for dog moms and dads looking for a great dog massager for their pup is the PetWell back and neck reliever. This massager is the perfect shape and size for working on tightness and discomfort throughout a dog’s neck and back.
This massager features an easy to grip, textured handle with two massaging ball inserts that are specially designed to hug the contours of a dog’s neck and back. But, this massager also does a great job of massaging shoulders, legs, and chest.
While this massager is a bit larger than the PetWell massager we discussed earlier, it’s still small enough for use on any size breed, and cats, too.
The ergonomic handle makes it easy for you to vary the pressure you’re applying, so whether your dog needs a light massage to soothe sore muscles or a deeper massage, this tool is always up to the task. The handle also helps ensure that using the massager is as comfortable for you as it is for your pup.
This dog massager does a great job of alleviating tension and promoting blood flow. It’s ideal for dogs suffering from arthritis and other inflammatory conditions. It’s also helpful for any dog that could use a relaxing break after a long day at the dog park, and elderly dogs as well.
What We Like
- Stimulates blood flow and reduces inflammation
- Ergonomic handle is comfortable to use
- Helps massage neck and back as well as other points, like the chest and shoulders
What Could Be Better
- All plastic construction – Doesn’t seem durable
Best Budget – Best M Pet Massaging Tool
- ★ Size: Handle is 2.8", the 12 tines are 6.5" and 4.7"
- ★ Material: Made of quality stainless steel with a wooden comfortable-hold-handle all
- ★ Increases Head Blood Circulation: Helps to increase blood flow to awaken the hair follicles and support healthy hair growth, which provides deep relaxation and helps reduce stress, relieves tension and stimulates sensitive nerves at the end of the day
- ★ Pets Love Tool: Pets love to be tickled, when your love pet comes to ask for tickling,this tool also can be massaging tool, not only help to blood flow,but also help pet reduce lice itch problems, which increase the relationship of you and your pet
- ★ Money Back Guarantee: We treasure our customers, so if you dislike the color or not satisfied with the quality, just contact us, we will refund the order. There is no risk for your order. We also welcome your any feedbacks on quality improvement
If you’re looking for the most affordable option, without sacrificing an enjoyable experience for your dog, this pet massaging tool may be a great option for you and your dog.
If you’ve never seen one of these products in action, you owe it to yourself to take 30 seconds out to watch this video. We’re not sure if we’ve ever seen any dog quite as happy as this adorable little guy is when he’s enjoying a massage with this dog massager from Best M.
Each massager features a natural wood handle with 12 tines made of durable stainless steel. Each tine is outfitted with a smooth plastic tip, which allows the massager to glide over your pet’s head as it provides a soothing massage.
Best of all, this pack includes a second massager, which you can use to provide yourself with a soothing massage as well!
What We Like
- Provides pets with a soothing massage
- Easy to use
- Includes a second massager
What Could Be Better
- It can only be used on your pet’s head
Proving your pet with a soothing massage can be a great way to increase blood flow and reduce inflammation. This can be especially helpful for dogs that suffer from inflammatory conditions such as arthritis, as well as elderly dogs as well. Plus, they provide a great opportunity for us to bond with our pets.
The massagers we’ve covered today all make fine choices for your pet. Overall, the All Over Handheld Massager from PetWell is our choice for the best massager available, thanks to its ergonomic design, build quality, and ease of use.
Hi, I’m Jacob. I’ve been a professional blogger for over 6 years and in that time I’ve written countless blogs that have reached millions of people. I am a DVM by profession but all you need to know is that I LOVE DOGS!
SDO started way back in 2015 on a whim. I’d read a couple of dozen blogs online while searching for the best products for my pup and the amount of misinformation online from unqualified sources giving potentially harmful advice shocked me. Then suddenly it hit me, hey, I can do this too! And I can do this RIGHT! Without even knowing what a blog was or how it makes money. I jumped right in to share the years of knowledge I have of dogs with the world.
Within a few months I realized that people were reacting extremely positively to my blogs. My website had taken off and I would receive countless emails from happy dog owners telling me how my website was a God-send for them and their pups were doing so much better after they followed my advice. I would get so many questions as well, and in my attempt to consolidate and answer all the questions I would get from my readers, my blog has evolved to the website you see today. Over the years I encouraged my good friend Tina who is also a DVM to share her experiences and better guide the people who read us. By the Grace of God we now reach close a million people a year and we get such a warm feedback on how we have made life easier for new dog owners all over the globe.
As a dog owner only you would know the feeling you get when you come home at night and you pup is there at the door wagging their tail in sheer joy. The bond a person and their dog share can not be explained in mere words. Yet dogs are like children, and they need to be cared for and trained, and that’s why Smart Dog Owner exists, to give you the precise and exact information that you seek about your dog. No matter how minute that detail is, chances are we will be there to help you out! As someone who has raised 7 of her own dogs. Jacob will always help you out.
Last update on 2021-04-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API