If your dog is having mobility issues because of a degenerative condition, or recent surgery, a rear lift harness can be a great way to help them get around. But, how do you know which harness is best for your needs?
Today, we’ll take a closer look at what you need to know before selecting a harness, and we’ll also cover some of the best harnesses that are available.
How to Select a Dog Rear Lift Harness
When it comes to dog lift harnesses, there are a few different criteria you’ll need to evaluate to find the best fit for your pup. Those criteria are:
- The Handle
The material the harness is constructed from is one of the most important things to consider. As you lift your dog, you’ll be putting pressure on their hindquarters. Depending on the material the harness is made from, it may be uncomfortable for your pup. Soft, padded materials such as neoprene are ideal for real lift harnesses, so you’ll probably want to look for one that’s made from this or a similar material.
The next most important aspect to consider is how well the harness fits. Many harnesses are available in a wide range of sizes designed to fit all different breeds. Cheaper harnesses tend to only come in a few sizes, and it may be more difficult to find one that fits your dog properly. Keep in mind that the better the harness fits, the more comfortable it will be for your dog.
The handle of the harness is what you’ll use to help assist your dog in climbing stairs or entering/exiting a vehicle. An adjustable handle makes it easier for you to control the dog, and it can also make it easier for dog owner’s of different heights to assist their dog without placing unnecessary strain on their back.
Best Overall Pick – Nature Pet Dog Rear Lift Harness
- ✅ MEDICAL REAR HARNESS for dogs made from 0.16 " super soft Neoprene with Jersey. IMPORTANT NOTIC: to avoidance of a backwards slip of the harness when you dog run free, you´ll need a secure strap, therefore is a small silver D-Ring at the harness
- ✅LIFTING HARNESS with best lift effect via adjustable belt system. Help your dog to stand up, go up- and downstairs, or entering the car
- ✅ ADJUSTABLE HANDLE with softgrip and adjustable to your body height for optimal hip and back relief. Forget back pain - this is the life saver for you and your dog
- ✅ This CARRYING AID is designed for Problems like: weakness of the hind legs,
inflammation and arthrosis neurological, muscular and neuromuscular problems
cauda equina syndrome
a disc prolapse
- ✅ The HELPING HARNESS is available in 6 sizes ✅ Size XS is for dogs with a waist circumference from 12.50-15.75 "✅ Size S is for dogs with a waist circumference from 15.75-19.30 "✅ Size M is for dogs with a hip circumference from 19.30-23.60"✅ Size L is for dogs with a hip circumference from 23.60-27.50"✅ Size XL is for dogs with a hip circumference from 27.50-31.50"✅ Size XXL is for dogs with a hip circumference from 31.50-35.50"
Our choice for the best overall is the dog rear lift harness from Nature Pet. This well-designed harness allows you to provide your dog with the assistance they need, without the need for an ill-fitting or uncomfortable harness.
This harness is constructed from durable jersey with a padded neoprene interior, which helps make it one of the most comfortable harnesses for your dog. The harness is also available in six different sizes from extra small to extra extra large, so you’ll be able to find the perfect fit for your dog, regardless of their size.
With so many different sizes available, it’s easy to find the perfect fit for your dog. Above all, the neoprene and jersey materials ensure that your dog is comfortable when you’re lifting them. This is an area where many other harnesses fall short since they’re made out of materials that aren’t as comfortable or supportive for the dog.
The handle on the harness is heavily padded to make it easier for you to assist your dog, and it’s adjustable to accommodate dog owners of different heights. This feature is particularly useful for dog owners that have their mobility problems, as it can make it much easier for them to assist their dog without causing discomfort for themselves.
What We Like
- Neoprene and jersey construction for optimal comfort and support
- Sizes to fit every size dog
- Adjustable carry handle
- D-ring attachment for use with a leash
What Could Be Better
- Velcro closure could be reinforced better
Best Value Pick – Walkabout Back End Harness
- support harness for dogs and cats with back end weakness due to old age or neurological problems
- neoprene material with soft support handles
- comfortable leg holes
- assisting elderly pets, pets with injuries and for rehabilitation
- Great assist for arthritis and geriatric pets
If you’re looking for a harness for your pet but aren’t interested in shelling out the extra money for a high-end option, this model from Walkabout may be perfect for you. While it’s more affordable than high-end harnesses, it delivers many of the features you’d expect from a quality harness, making it an exceptional value pick.
Similar to the harness from Nature Pet, six different sizes are available, so you should have no problem finding a harness that fits your dog perfectly. The harness is made from heavily padded neoprene, which offers your dog a more comfortable experience when they’re being lifted. The leg holes feature rolled and finished seams, which add to the comfort of the harness.
Unfortunately, the handles on the harness aren’t adjustable. But, they are a nice long size, which makes it easy to use the handles when walking with your dog. By the same token, the long handles can make it a bit difficult for shorter people to get the proper amount of leverage when lifting your dog to assist them up stairs or into a vehicle.
For many dogs, some slight modifications may be necessary. The underside of the harness is a bit long, and it can make it difficult for some dogs to go to the bathroom properly. This issue can easily be remedied by cutting out a small space for your dog’s privates.
What We Like
- Comfortable neoprene construction
- Rolled seams for added comfort
- Sizes to fit every dog
What Could Be Better
- Handle isn’t adjustable
- Underside of harness makes it difficult for some dogs to go to the bathroom
Best Budget Pick – Huggiecart Dog Rear Lift Harness
- Special reverse Velcro strapping action to help with tighter fit around the waist.
- 3 sizes to choose from. Measure the circumference of your dog’s stomach before purchasing.
- Waterproof. Made of Neoprene. Same as surfer wet suit. Will not bunch up as easily as typical fabric base rear lift.
If you’re looking for one of the most affordable options possible, this budget harness from Huggiecart may be a good option for you.
This Huggiecart harness provides similar functionality to the other two harnesses we’ve discussed. However, the manufacturer has cut some corners to create a harness that’s available at a much lower price point than the other two we’ve discussed.
Like the harnesses from Walkabout and Nature Pet, this harness is made from heavily padded neoprene, which offers superior comfort to other fabrics. The harness features a unique reverse strapping action which allows you to create a more secure fit around your dog’s hindquarters.
For dog’s that are unable to deal with pressure on their hind legs, this could present an issue, as this harness does fit tighter around the body than the other harnesses we’ve discussed. This harness also doesn’t feature leg holes like the other models we’ve covered, so there’s more of a chance for the harness to slip around on the dog’s body.
The handle is heavily reinforced with a padded handle, which helps make it easier to lift your pup. But, the handle isn’t adjustable so that you may run into the same leverage issue we identified above.
That said, this harness from Huggiecart is ideal for dogs that need temporary or occasional help as they recover from a surgery or deal with mobility issues.
What We Like
- Affordable price
- Comfortable neoprene material
- Reverse strapping action helps to create a secure fit
What We Don’t Like
- Handle isn’t adjustable
- Puts pressure on the hindquarters – may be uncomfortable for some dogs
- No leg holes – harness may be able to shift around as you lift your dog
If your dog is recovering from surgery, or dealing with a condition that affects their mobility, a dog harness to support back legs may be the perfect way for you to help your dog deal with their condition.
The harnesses we’ve discussed above all make great options for dogs dealing with mobility issues. Overall, our favorite dog rear lift harness is the Nature Pet Dog Rear Lift model. It’s made from quality materials that will be comfortable for your pet to wear, and they’re available in sizes to fit virtually every dog breed. Most importantly, this harness provides comprehensive support for your pup.
Last update on 2020-07-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API