Dog Safe Ant Killers — While ants won’t spread disease-causing bacteria like other household pests (such as mice and roaches), it’s the rare homeowner who wants them around. After all, nothing ruins breakfast more quickly than finding ants in your sugar bowl or cereal box. But if you have pets, such as a dog, you can’t exactly spread ant killer around your house liberally, as it can poison your pet. The best dog safe ant killers eliminate your pest problem without harming your dog. Ant baits and ant killers can be dangerous for your dog, read more about ant bait poisoning here.
This article will make you a PRO at Kids and Pet Safe Ant killers! We go through a detailed review on the top of the line ant killers in the market today! Ants are pesky insects and they will intrude your house no matter what you do. Some products in the market are harmful to use around pets and kids.
Reasons to Use Pet Safe Ant Killers
Safe and Natural
We all know that original is way better, natural is just the earth’s way of saying “original”, made of organic materials and completely safe to use. Keeps your household safe from poisonous and toxic chemicals. So your children are pets are always safe.
Dogs and other pets bite down or smell anything that you have put down in your house. It is important that you use chemical-free ant killers.
Insects like ants play a huge part in our environment. As a responsible citizen, it’s our duty not to harm the environment around us. Eco-friendly ant killers can help you in this cause. Find out more about environmental allergies in food here.
What’s the Risk to Dogs?
According to Cesar Milan, insecticides are among the top 10 household items that could hurt your pup. Ant baits, though plastic packages that contain an attractant inside them, are occasionally eaten by pets.
The baits often contain peanut butter, which dogs love, as well as a small amount of poison. The good news is that the poison in most ant baits usually isn’t enough to hurt or kill your dog.
But swallowing the plastic case the bait is in can cause some trouble. The bait casing could get stuck in your dog’s digestive system or could cause some discomfort as it moves through his body before he passes it.
Although your dog will probably be fine if he or she eats ant poison, it’s a good idea to call your vet if it happens. Another option is to reduce the chance of your dog eating poison in the first place by switching to a dog-safe ant killer.
Want to know the dangers Ant trap poses to your dog? Click here for more details.
What to Look for in a Dog Safe Ant Killer
When choosing a dog safe ant killer, you want to choose a product that won’t attract your dog. Additionally, you want to choose a product that won’t harm your dog if he or she does eat it. Some ant killers contain ingredients that do damage to tiny ants and their delicate systems but won’t harm bigger animals, like dogs.
One common ingredient in pet-safe ant killers is diatomaceous earth. Sometimes described as the bug killer you can eat (yum), diatomaceous earth contains the fossilized remains of diatoms, which are small aquatic organisms. The main ingredient in those fossils is silica.
Although it does kill ants and other insects, the FDA considers diatomaceous earth to be “generally recognized as safe.” When looking for diatomaceous earth, choose a product labeled as “food-grade,” which means it’s gone through a purification process.
When scattered about, diatomaceous earth can kill ants and other insects by sucking the fat and oils away from their exoskeletons, according to the National Pesticide Information Center. Ants don’t need to eat the ingredient for it to do its damage. Diatomaceous earth has several other uses as well, ranging from deodorizing clothing and carpets to cleaning up spills.
DIY Ant Traps Safe for your home and Your Dog
Before going all nuclear with toxic chemicals in your house, it’s best to try these natural remedies that make perfect ant traps safe around pets and children. If you live in the slightly hotter parts of the great USA, you know insects are a problem all year round. Sitting outside enjoying the weather is always messed up by these pesky creatures. But worry not, here is the formula for our do it yourself, ant killer.
The Soapy Water DIY Pet-Friendly Ant Killer
Yes! All you need is some dish soap and water.
- Add 30 drops of liquid dish soap
- Standard spray bottle (like the one used in cleaning)
- Fill ¾ of the bottle with water
- Mix well and spray at your target
You can use an all-natural liquid soap for this DIY. The spray would be an excellent dog-friendly ant killer. You can use it around the house or outdoors as well. You don’t have to worry about the harmful chemicals damaging your floor, furniture, or any other surfaces as it made up of harmless cleaning products. You will need to clean up the dead ants you spray this mixture on.
Dog-Friendly Ant Hill Killers
Ant hills will pop up in your back yard and even inside your house. Ants are beneficial to the environment as they keep a check on your local insect population. There are different types of ants some are more dangerous than others, they destroy that veggie garden you made in your back yard and some ants can even sting your children and dogs playing in your backyard.
Hot water: Pouring hot water close to boiling will kill the complete colony! For ease of use, you can spray the ants on the ground with hot water too.
Soap Spray: As discussed above, this spray is a lifesaver if you live in hot climates. It will surely kill all the ants in the hill guarding your dog and children. For bigger quantities, you can use 6 to 7 tablespoons of liquid soap in a gallon of water.
White Vinegar: Vinegar is acidic enough to kill ants, it also confuses ants about different scents. Just pour a bottle of this magic potion into the ant hill and your problems will go away.
Are Ingredients Safe in these Ant Killers
There’s some confusion over the presence of borax, or boric acid, in some ant killers. People commonly assume that borax is a safe ingredient since it does have low toxicity, at least for people.
It’s a different story for dogs. According to the ASPCA, borax can lead to irritation and stomach upset in dogs if consumers. If your pet eats a lot of it, there’s the risk of kidney injury. For the sake of your pet, it’s best to just say no to ant killers that contain borax.
Prevention Better than Pet-Friendly Ant Killers
Often, preventing ants is better than killing them, especially if you have a pet at home. Ants typically come into your home because they are hungry and you have food. According to the Humane Society, if ants come to your house in search of food but don’t find any, they won’t return.
To keep ants away, make sure you store all your food, plus your dog’s food, in airtight, ant-proof containers. Wipe up your counters and tabletops after each meal and wash the dishes. Don’t leave dirty plates and dishes in the sink overnight. Sweep and vacuum the floors to remove any food bits.
It’s also a good idea to use soap and water when cleaning surfaces. The soap will rinse away the chemical trails ants leave, according to Angie’s List. It is also potent enough to kill any ants it comes into contact with.
If you’ve done what you can to keep ants away, but they keep coming back, the next step is to break out the dog safe ant killers.
Reviews of the Best Dog Safe Ant Killers Baits
Terro 1806 Outdoor Liquid Ant Bait
Terro 1806 is your best Pet-friendly ant killer for outdoors. It can kill each and every ant species ruining your backyard. The baits are climate-proof! So just leave them and they will do the rest.
The bait’s scents repel all pets but do contain a small amount of poison called “borax”. Read about borax below. Not to worry about the design of the baits prevents any contact with your pet.
Bait stations can be used inside the house but if tipped over, they mess up wooden floors, something to keep in mind while buying.
- Kills the ants you see and the ants you don’t
- Pre filled bait stations are ready to use
- Contains borax
- Flexible placement: in the ground using the stakes or on decks, or in garages or basements without using the stakes
- Patented station protects the bait from the elements, prevents it from drying out
Advion Ant Gel – Fast Acting Ant Bait
Advion is another cool ant bait product you can use around the house. It is effective and will also kill queen ant if you use it in enough quantity. Like all other products on our list, Advion is a pet-safe ant bait and will not harm any pets if ingested in small quantities.
It is advised to use this product is crevices and cracks, it’s especially handy when it comes to tight spaces. Use it in a form of small dots around your furniture, under appliances, and inside cupboards.
Advion has very little active ingredients safe for your dog and other pets! However, if you have a large infestation of ants in your house, Advion will take a lot of maintenance and reapplication.
- Not for sale to: CA, CT
- Advion Cockroach gel bait is a high-performing product targeting all prevailing pest species of cockroaches, including German (also gel bait-averse), American, Australian, brown, smokybrown, Oriental, brown-banded and Asian cockroaches.
- It combines a highly attractive, proprietary gel formulation with a potent, non-repellent active ingredient. Cockroaches cannot resist this superior combination, and even the toughest populations are quickly controlled.
- 'Advion Cockroach Bait Gel’ is Professional Grade Do-It-Yourself Pest Control Product, same ones used by professional exterminators and pest control companies. This product is not available over the counter in the Retail stores, nor at Hospitality supply distributors.
- An ‘Entomologist’ is a scientist who studies urban pests, forest pests, agricultural pests, medical pests, veterinary pests and their control. Having a staff ‘Entomologist’ on our team takes our knowledge and training to the next level to better serve our customers.
Reviews of the Best Dog Safe Ant Killers Sprays
Dr. Killigan’s Six Feet Under Insect Spray
Dr. Killigan’s Six Feet Under Insect Spray is non-toxic and best for getting rid of ant infestations, but still very potent. Dogs like to smell everything, in this situation the more organic the better. Killigan’s has a sweet scent of cinnamon and clove combination which the household bugs and ants love.
Killigan’s ant killer spray can be used against fleas, flies, moths, and ants. It’s very versatile and one of a kind, all you need in a 24oz bottle.
- 💥90 DAY KILLER - Confidently kill bed bugs on contact with Dr. Killigan’s Rest In Peace bed bug killer spray, and continue with protection that lasts for up to 90 days after first use. Protecting your family and home has never been easier. Say goodbye to these unwanted intruders. Sleep peacefully knowing that you’ve conquered bedbugs with a natural insecticide.
- 💥SAFE FOR FAMILY, KIDS AND PETS - You have the power to protect those you love with this organic, natural bed-bug spray. Made of a blend of essential oils and eco-friendly ingredients, use this indoor spray confidently on your mattress, pillow, carpet, and clothing to rid yourself of these pests while keeping your family safe. Rest In Peace is a safe and effective alternative to the toxic bed bug sprays on the market. (Safe when used as directed).
- 💥PROVEN FORMULA - Independently tested and proven to kill bed bugs and their eggs with a 100% mortality rate. This 90 day residual formula uses soy bean oil as the active ingredient. It provides lasting success and covers up to 400 square feet. Finally, an indoor treatment that works powerfully, so you can focus your energy on more important things.
- 💥YOU'RE NOT ALONE - Bed bugs can be an embarrassing problem, and can feel overwhelming. The Dr. Killigan team is here to help. Your succes is our primary goal. Follow our step-by-step instructions on the bottle to help you restore peace to your home, and CONTACT our customer service team with any questions or concerns.
- 💥SWEET AROMA WITH GREAT COVERAGE - Enjoy the pleasant scent of vanilla with a hint of mint. Spray this natural formula on your floor, bed, furniture, mattress, and pillow or take it with you as you travel. One bottle covers up to 400 square feet.
EcoRaider – Eco-Friendly Ant Killer
EcoRaider comes with its own tube and nozzle extension, a very handy tool to reach deep inside ant mounds. The formula is so potent that it keeps ants and insects away for over 5 weeks!
The transparent spray won’t stain anywhere so it’s easy to use in the house, on furniture, or on fabric. The scent is pungent at first but quickly goes away.
Ecoraider provides up to 4 weeks of protection from ants and other pesky insects.
- FOR USE BOTH INDOORS AND OUTDOORS: to control existing and invading insect such as ants, bed bugs and other small crawling insects;
- IMMEDIATE KILL: Kills 100% of existing ants on contact instantly.
- EXTENTED PROTECTION: disrupts ant trails and prevent for re-entry for 4 week and beyond.
- PRODUCT SAFETY LAB TESTED: minimal skin irritation, child-and-pet-friendly;
- NONE STAINING. FAST DISSIPATING PLEASANT CITRUS SCENT.
MDX Concepts Magma Home Pest Control Spray
The Magma home pest control spray is totally organic, it is made up of rosemary oil, spearmint oil, and a pinch of peppermint oil. It will keep insects and pets away from your garden as it has vinegar in it will repel bees but does not harm them.
MDX Concepts claims to have the best and most effective formula in the market that is made by the ever so professional exterminators who have years of experience in the field.
MDX also comes with two cool guarantees! Your home will be safe from ants and pests alike for at least 60 days. If you don’t feel satisfied with the product, you can claim a refund from the company with no questions asked, Now ain’t that a bargain!
- ELIMINATES HOME PESTS - Naturally Kills Home Invading Pests Including: House Roach, Spiders, Ants, Fleas, Earwigs, Stink Bugs, Mites, Scorpion, Silverfish, and other common household pests.
- NATURAL - Made with Natural and non-toxic ingredients, MDXconcepts Pest Spray is the perfect solution for those looking to keep their homes free of pests and insects without the dangers of artificial sprays, baits, commonly found on the market.
- FAST ACTING – MDXconcepts is not only Fast Acting but also Long Lasting. Kills Fast and helps Keeps them out.
- SAFE – Safe to use all around your home. Mdx Concepts is a Natural Non Toxic Alternative to chemical based Pest Control Products. No worries of harmful fumes or dangerous poisons & chemicals coming in contact with you and your family.
- MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - Formulated by professional we guarantee Mdx Concepts Home Pest Control Spray is effective to work. Try 100% Risk-Free for 60 days and If you are not completely satisfied we will refund your purchase, no questions asked.
EcoSMART Organic Ant and Roach Killer
EcoSMART Organic Ant and Roach Killer contain all-natural, plant-based ingredients. Sold in a 14-ounce aerosol can, it claims to kill ants, cockroaches, silverfish, and a range of other crawling bugs on contact. The active ingredients in EcoSMART are peppermint oil and rosemary oil, two herbal oils that are known to be strong enough to cause serious harm to bugs.
- Safe for use inside the home
- You can also use it outdoors
- 100 percent organic formula
- Safe for children and pets and won’t contaminate groundwater or harm birds or fish
- Has a strong odor that some might find off-putting
- You have to spray it on the bugs for it to work
- Made with a naturally derived botanical oil
- Kills by contact
- Kills ants and roaches
- Also kills spiders, crickets and other listed insects
- Safe around children and pets when used as directed
Reviews of the Best Dog Safe Ant Killers Powder
Harris Diatomaceous Earth – Ant killer with Duster
Harris Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade slices up the exoskeletons of ants, which ultimately kills them. The product is safe enough for humans to eat and won’t harm your pets. It also includes an air pump duster, which is supposed to make application easier.
To use the product, you sprinkle some of it in areas where you’ve seen the ants. If the ants crawl on it, the edges of the diatomaceous earth cut them up.
Along with killing ants, the diatomaceous earth will cause harm to any insect that has an exoskeleton. People have reported that it’s an efficient killer of everything from fleas to scorpions.
- People and pet safe ant killer
- All-natural ingredients
- Manufacturer donates 10 percent of profits to a local humane society
- Included duster can be a little difficult to use
- You can’t get the product wet when using it as an ant killer or else it will clump up and won’t be as effective
- Natural Product - Composed of 4lbs of 100% ground freshwater diatomaceous earth with absolutely no additives or fillers.
- OMRI Listed - Listed with the Organic Minerals Research Institute, a non-profit organization that reviews products against organic standards.
- Powder Duster Included - Powder duster in the bag for easy and efficient application in difficult to reach areas.
- Hundreds of Uses - Mother nature's best kept secret with hundreds of uses. We encourage you to explore the many benefits of food grade diatomaceous earth!
- Supports a Great Cause - Harris donates 10% of profits to support the local Etowah Valley Humane Society.
If you’re looking for the best dog safe ant killer, diatomaceous earth the way to go. Although there are plenty of options out there, Harris Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade is the most well-rounded option. You can use it as an ant killer, to kill fleas on your dog and you can use it to deodorize your shoes or carpets.
Frequently Asked Questions – Pet Safe Ant Killers
Are Borax Ant Traps and Borax Ant Poisons Safe To Use Around Dogs?
Borax ant traps are toxic to dogs according to the ASPCA. Boric acid does have a low toxicity level and is also caustic. Expect to consume these traps to cause stomach upset in pets, so if your dog has a habit of consuming things they shouldn’t, you will want to put these out of reach. If your pet has consumed a Borax Ant Trap or ant trap that uses boric acid, contact the Pet Poison Control hotline. Read here for more details on ant killer poisoning and what should you do if your dog swallows some.
Are Terro Ant Baits, Terro Liquid Ant Baits and Terro Ant Traps Safe To Use Around Dogs?
If your dog eats a Terro ant bait, you should contact Pet Poison Control. Terro ant bait is made with boric acid, so while it isn’t immediately toxic, it is caustic and vomiting should be induced as quickly as possible to avoid any stomach upset.
Hi, I’m Jacob. I’ve been a professional blogger for over 6 years and in that time I’ve written countless blogs that have reached millions of people. I am a DVM by profession but all you need to know is that I LOVE DOGS!
SDO started way back in 2015 on a whim. I’d read a couple of dozen blogs online while searching for the best products for my pup and the amount of misinformation online from unqualified sources giving potentially harmful advice shocked me. Then suddenly it hit me, hey, I can do this too! And I can do this RIGHT! Without even knowing what a blog was or how it makes money. I jumped right in to share the years of knowledge I have of dogs with the world.
Within a few months I realized that people were reacting extremely positively to my blogs. My website had taken off and I would receive countless emails from happy dog owners telling me how my website was a God-send for them and their pups were doing so much better after they followed my advice. I would get so many questions as well, and in my attempt to consolidate and answer all the questions I would get from my readers, my blog has evolved to the website you see today. Over the years I encouraged my good friend Tina who is also a DVM to share her experiences and better guide the people who read us. By the Grace of God we now reach close a million people a year and we get such a warm feedback on how we have made life easier for new dog owners all over the globe.
As a dog owner only you would know the feeling you get when you come home at night and you pup is there at the door wagging their tail in sheer joy. The bond a person and their dog share can not be explained in mere words. Yet dogs are like children, and they need to be cared for and trained, and that’s why Smart Dog Owner exists, to give you the precise and exact information that you seek about your dog. No matter how minute that detail is, chances are we will be there to help you out! As someone who has raised 7 of her own dogs. Jacob will always help you out.
Last update on 2021-04-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API