The weather is heating up, and it’s time for you and your family to enjoy the yard. But, bees and other nuisances can make it difficult to enjoy yourself. Let’s take a closer look at what you need to know about your dog safe bee killer options, and examine some of the top products that can help you reclaim your yard today.
Choosing a Dog Safe Bee Killer
Before you go out and buy the first insect repellent you can find, there are a few things to consider, such as:
- Other insects you may want to repel
- THow the insecticide affects your pets, other humans, and your yard
- How much area each product treats
Usually, bees aren’t the only culprit that’s putting a damper on your outdoor fun. You may want to consider an insect killer or repellent that can treat against other insects as well. Beyond bees, you may want to treat against yellowjackets, wasps, flies, mosquitoes, and other insects.
Pets, People and Your Yard
There’s plenty of insecticides that do a great job of repelling or killing insects. But, many of them come with a range of unfortunately side effects to animals, people, and the environment. Even some dog safe insect repellents may have unintended consequences for your lawn and foliage.
Before buying any product for your home, be sure that it’s not going to have any unintended effects on your home and loved ones.
Many insect repellents are sold as a concentrated liquid that’s meant to be mixed with water or another liquid before being used. What may look like a tiny bottle may be enough insect killer to treat your entire yard multiple times. So, you’ll want to take a closer look at the label to see if you’re dealing with a concentrated solution or not.
Best Overall – Outlast NBS30
If you’re looking for a comprehensive solution that will repel bees and most other insects from your backyard, NBS30 from Outlast may be the perfect solution for you.
NBS30 is made from a proprietary blend of citronella, cedar, rosemary and lemon oil, eugenol and mineral oil. It’s designed to repel different types of bees, wasps, fleas, ticks, spiders, mites, and many other nuisance insects that may be affecting your ability to enjoy your yard.
Interestingly enough, this product is designed to be used with paints or stains. The idea is that you add NBS30 to your paint or stain, and it makes any surface that’s had NBS30 added to it inhabitable to most insects. Fortunately, it seems to work equally well when added to water and sprayed.
Most people add a bottle of NBS30 to five gallons of water and spray it around the yard, paying special attention to exterior surfaces like desks, chairs, and siding. Once sprayed, NBS30 goes to work repelling nuisance insects so you can get back to enjoying the great outdoors.
NBS30 is made from natural and plant-based ingredients, so you can feel good about using it in your yard. As you’d imagine, it’s also safe for use around children as well.
The one downside of this product is the price. A pint-size bottle of this insect repellent runs more than $40, and it provides a single treatment. While that single treatment effectively repels all sorts of bees and bugs, it’s certainly more expensive than some of the other options available.
What We Like
- Safe for pets and children
- Natural ingredients
- Effectively repels bees and other insects
- Can be added to paint or stain for a permanent solution to insect control
What Could Be Better
- May not repel every type of bee
Best Value – Warmsheep Reusable Wasp and Bee Trap
Not only do these traps from Warmsheep represent the most humane way to deal with your bee problem, but they also offer great value, because you’ll be able to reuse them season after season.
The way these traps work is simple: Unscrew the bottom of the trap, add some sugar water to the bowl, screw the top back on, and you’re ready to go. You can either hang these traps from your trees or bushes or place them on a table or any other flat surface.
Keeping multiple traps on hand is an effective way to keep your entire yard free of bees and other flying insects like wasps, yellowjackets, and flies.
Since these traps don’t use any harmful chemicals or insecticides, they make a great pet-safe bee repellent. They’re also safe for use around children and food.
Throwing a party with a buffet? Place a trap on each side of the table and watch as bees and other insects flock to the trap, instead of your food.
On the downside, bees and other insects are free to bother you as they wish unless they fly into the trap. So, many people use these traps in conjunction with a dog-safe bee killer so they can utilize the benefits of the trap while also having a short-term solution available to kill or repel any bees or insects that haven’t entered the traps.
What We Like
- Completely safe for pets and children
- No chemicals or insecticides
- Easy to use
What Could Be Better
- Only works if the bee flies into the trap
Best Budget – EcoSMART Organic Flying Insect Killer
- FRESH SCENT: EcoSmart's Natural Wasp And Hornet Killer works with the help of essential plant oils so there is no overbearing, harsh chemical smell- only a fresh scent!
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY: Our plant-based formula eliminates hornets, wasps and yellow jackets without harming fish, wildlife and does not contaminate groundwater supplies, so you can feel good about using EcoSmart.
- CHILD AND PET FRIENDLY: This product is safe to use around kids and pets, when used as directed
- NO CHEMICALS: Take chemicals out of your lawn, garden and home equation with EcoSmart
- MADE IN THE USA
If you’re looking for an effective solution to your flying insect problem, but aren’t prepared to break the bank on traps or expensive insecticides, this spray from EcoSMART maybe your best option.
EcoSMART has years of experience manufacturing different insect killers and repellents using only natural ingredients like essential oils. This particular blend does a number on flying insects like bees, wasps, and yellowjackets, and it does so at an affordable price.
The premise behind EcoSMART’s products is that plants have always had their own natural defenses in place to keep insects from harming them. EcoSMART has tried to harness those same defense mechanisms into a sprayable and dog safe bee killer.
Each can of EcoSMART can shoot a jet stream up to 18 feet, which makes it easy for you to spray insects while they’re a safe distance from you and your family. But, the most effective way to use EcoSMART is to find where the bees, yellow jackets, or wasps are nesting, and spray the entire nest. Within a few minutes, all the insects that come in contact with the spray will be dead.
In addition to being pet and animal safe, EcoSMART has one of the more pleasant smells of any insect repellent we’ve ever tried. The nasty chemical odor typical with most insecticides is replaced with a light peppermint scent that’s far less offensive.
What We Like
- Pet and child safe
- Smells great
- Effectively kills bees, wasps and other flying insects
What We Don’t Like
- Doesn’t spray the full 18 feet once the propellant starts to run out
- May harm certain plants
Best for Home Use: Spectracide Carpenter Bee & Ground-Nesting Yellowjacket Killer Foaming Aerosol
- Kills on contact
- Foam expands to where insects live
- Spray into hard-to-reach areas
- Spray foam
This product is awesome when it comes to beehives or any other nests in your backyard. It’s super easy and really simple to use. just as the label says, spray it into a hive and see the magic happen! it kills insects on contact and because it turns into form when applied, you don’t have to be worried about harmful fumes in the air that might irritate your children or dogs.
What we like
- Kills instantly
- 100% effective
- Easy to use
What we don’t like
- Have to be directly applied
- You will probably need a ladder for hives
- Toxic to animals if gets into contact
Non Lethal Options
RESCUE! Reusable Yellowjacket Trap with Non-Toxic Attractant
- THE ORIGINAL – There’s a reason you see this trap everywhere: it’s the original, and it works! There are roughly a dozen species of stinging yellow jackets throughout North America, and this trap is designed to lure them all.
- HIGHLY EFFECTIVE – Lured in by our specially formulated attractant, yellowjackets fly in through the holes in the bottom of the trap, continue upward through the interior cone, and become trapped. Once inside, they die from dehydration—no killing agent required.
- NON-TOXIC – Unlike potentially harmful sprays, this trap relies on a non-toxic mode of action to eliminate yellowjackets. Its durable plastic construction is built to withstand many seasons of use. Attractant refills are available.
- SMARTER PEST CONTROL – Our Reusable Yellowjacket Trap is specially designed to attract and kill yellowjackets, not beneficial honeybees. The included attractant lasts for weeks without daily maintenance.
- MADE IN THE USA – At RESCUE!, our goal is to design, manufacture, and market the safest and most effective pest control solutions available for homeowners. We are proud to manufacture our products in the USA!
The product is super amazing for outdoors. This trap is not only effective but it certainly beautifies your yard too. The trap uses an all-natural attractant for the yellow jackets (a type of bees) which is specially formulated by the company that produces the trap. The attractant goes on for at least 3 weeks and there are refills available. the build quality of this trap is top-notch. The trap should last you years before it has to be replaced.
Call it a downside or an upside but the trap only gets yellow jackets and not honey bees, the company deeps honey bees essential and does not want to kill them off without any reason. So yes this trap is a sort of nonlethal option for people who care about the environment and do not have a “severe problem” per se! to top it all up this up, the product is made right here in the US of A!
RESCUE! WHY Trap for Wasps, Hornets, & Yellowjackets – Hanging Outdoor Trap
- CATCH ‘EM ALL – Unsure if your problem is Wasps, Hornets, or Yellowjackets? The WHY Trap from RESCUE! attracts all of them, so you’ll never need to identify an insect. Simply hang outdoors and watch them pile up.
- HOW IT WORKS – Its unique dual-chambered design uses three attractants to catch 19 different species of insects. Wasps, hornets, and yellowjackets can crawl in through the top or bottom. Once inside, they expire naturally.
- WHAT IT CATCHES – The WHY Trap includes a two-week supply of attractant designed to attract paper wasps, bald-faced hornets, European hornets, and yellowjackets—not beneficial honeybees.
- REUSABLE – Its durable design allows this trap to be reused for many seasons. Attractant refills are available for purchase.
- MADE IN THE USA – At RESCUE, our goal is to design, manufacture, and market the safest and most effective pest control solutions available for homeowners. We are proud to manufacture our products in the USA!
Yes, this is another RESCUE product and similar in nature but the cool thing about this trap is that it can catch more than just yellow jackets. The trap uses three attractants that cover over 18 species of insects, WOW! Again this trap is not full of chemicals, would not harm honey bees, and is completely natural.
The plastic material used is durable enough to last you for at least 4 years and the WHY trap is totally reusable too. One thing to note here is that the attractants last you only 2 weeks.
Bees and other insects can put a serious damper on your outdoor fun, and it can be difficult to find a treatment that’s safe for pets and kids. Each of the different products we’ve covered is safe and effective and can help keep your yard insect-free.
While each of these products is a strong choice for the best dog safe bee killer, NBS30 from Outlast is the top performer in our opinion.
Hi, I’m Jacob. I’ve been a professional blogger for over 6 years and in that time I’ve written countless blogs that have reached millions of people. I am a DVM by profession but all you need to know is that I LOVE DOGS!
SDO started way back in 2015 on a whim. I’d read a couple of dozen blogs online while searching for the best products for my pup and the amount of misinformation online from unqualified sources giving potentially harmful advice shocked me. Then suddenly it hit me, hey, I can do this too! And I can do this RIGHT! Without even knowing what a blog was or how it makes money. I jumped right in to share the years of knowledge I have of dogs with the world.
Within a few months I realized that people were reacting extremely positively to my blogs. My website had taken off and I would receive countless emails from happy dog owners telling me how my website was a God-send for them and their pups were doing so much better after they followed my advice. I would get so many questions as well, and in my attempt to consolidate and answer all the questions I would get from my readers, my blog has evolved to the website you see today. Over the years I encouraged my good friend Tina who is also a DVM to share her experiences and better guide the people who read us. By the Grace of God we now reach close a million people a year and we get such a warm feedback on how we have made life easier for new dog owners all over the globe.
As a dog owner only you would know the feeling you get when you come home at night and you pup is there at the door wagging their tail in sheer joy. The bond a person and their dog share can not be explained in mere words. Yet dogs are like children, and they need to be cared for and trained, and that’s why Smart Dog Owner exists, to give you the precise and exact information that you seek about your dog. No matter how minute that detail is, chances are we will be there to help you out! As someone who has raised 7 of her own dogs. Jacob will always help you out.
Last update on 2021-10-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API