The weather is heating up, and it’s time for you and your family to enjoy the yard. But, bees and other nuisances can make it difficult to enjoy yourself. Let’s take a closer look at what you need to know about your dog safe bee killer options, and examine some of the top products that can help you reclaim your yard today.
Choosing a Dog Safe Bee Killer
Before you go out and buy the first insect repellent you can find, there are a few things to consider, such as:
- Other insects you may want to repel
- How the insecticide affects your pets, other humans, and your yard
- How much area each product treats
Usually, bees aren’t the only culprit that’s putting a damper on your outdoor fun. You may want to consider an insect killer or repellent that can treat against other insects as well. Beyond bees, you may want to treat against yellowjackets, wasps, flies, mosquitoes, and other insects.
Pets, People and Your Yard
There’s plenty of insecticides that do a great job of repeling or killing insects. But, many of them come with a range of unfortunately side effects to animals, people, and the environment. Even some dog safe insect repellents may have unintended consequences for your lawn and foliage.
Before buying any product for your home, be sure that it’s not going to have any unintended effects on your home and loved ones.
Many insect repellents are sold as a concentrated liquid that’s meant to be mixed with water or another liquid before being used. What may look like a tiny bottle may be enough insect killer to treat your entire yard multiple times. So, you’ll want to take a closer look at the label to see if you’re dealing with a concentrated solution or not.
Best Overall – Outlast NBS30
- "Green Alternative" Natural Insect Repellent
- Add to oil or latex stains and paints or plain water to repell insects.
- Treats up to 5 Gallons of paint, stain or water. 16oz. Size
- Naturally repells: Carpenter Bees, Ants, Cockroaches, Lady Bugs, Dirt Daubers, Wasps, Spiders, Mosquitoes, and other nuisance insects.
- 100% Derived From Exempt Plant Oils & Components.
If you’re looking for a comprehensive solution that will repel bees and most other insects from your backyard, NBS30 from Outlast may be the perfect solution for you.
NBS30 is made from a proprietary blend of citronella, cedar, rosemary and lemon oil, eugenol and mineral oil. It’s designed to repel different types of bees, wasps, fleas, ticks, spiders, mites, and many other nuisance insects that may be affecting your ability to enjoy your yard.
Interestingly enough, this product is designed to be used with paints or stains. The idea is that you add NBS30 to your paint or stain, and it makes any surface that’s had NBS30 added to it inhabitable to most insects. Fortunately, it seems to work equally well when added to water and sprayed.
Most people add a bottle of NBS30 to five gallons of water and spray it around the yard, paying special attention to exterior surfaces like decks, chairs, and siding. Once sprayed, NBS30 goes to work repelling nuisance insects so you can get back to enjoying the great outdoors.
NBS30 is made from natural and plant-based ingredients, so you can feel good about using it in your yard. As you’d imagine, it’s also safe for use around children as well.
The one downside of this product is the price. A pint-size bottle of this insect repellent runs more than $40, and it provides a single treatment. While that single treatment effectively repels all sorts of bees and bugs, it’s certainly more expensive than some of the other options available.
What We Like
- Safe for pets and children
- Natural ingredients
- Effectively repels bees and other insects
- Can be added to paint or stain for a permanent solution to insect control
What Could Be Better
- May not repel every type of bee
Best Value – Warmsheep Reusable Wasp and Bee Trap
- Effective Wasp Trap: With double entry tunnels on the trap, increase the chance of attracting more insects into the device, they will drown in the water or dehydrate eventually.
- Safety And Healthy : No chemicals or radiation, extremely economical and environment-friendly wasp control solution for outdoors. Made of durable plastic and will last for unlimited catching.
- Food Based Lure: Traps lure insect inside with an irresistible mixture of water and sugar.
- Easy To Set Up: Simply add some sugar water or beer as baits, flip the switch on, then hang it on, or place it on flat surface. Simple solution to get rid of annoying and dangerous pests.
- Satisfaction Guaranteed: We take customer service seriously and want you to be 100% happy with your shopping experience. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or comments, we will do our best to meet your needs.
Not only do these traps from Warmsheep represent the most humane way to deal with your bee problem, but they also offer great value, because you’ll be able to reuse them season after season.
The way these traps work is simple: Unscrew the bottom of the trap, add some sugar water to the bowl, screw the top back on, and you’re ready to go. You can either hang these traps from your trees or bushes or place them on a table or any other flat surface.
Keeping multiple traps on hand is an effective way to keep your entire yard free of bees and other flying insects like wasps, yellowjackets, and flies.
Since these traps don’t use any harmful chemicals or insecticides, they make a great pet safe bee repellent. They’re also safe for use around children and food.
Throwing a party with a buffet? Place a trap on each side of the table and watch as bees and other insects flock to the trap, instead of your food.
On the downside, bees and other insects are free to bother you as they wish unless they fly into the trap. So, many people use these traps in conjunction with a dog safe bee killer so they can utilize the benefits of the trap while also having a short-term solution available to kill or repel any bees or insects that haven’t entered the traps.
What We Like
- Completely safe for pets and children
- No chemicals or insecticides
- Easy to use
What Could Be Better
- Only works if the bee flies into the trap
Best Budget – EcoSMART Organic Flying Insect Killer
- Safe, effective, and fast way to kill wasps, hornets, spiders and yellow jackets - EcoSMART makes protecting you and you family from harmful insects simple
- This wasp and hornet killer is made from potent plant oils, including peppermint oil, so there are no overbearing harsh chemical smell - only a natural, fresh scent!
- This non-toxic and environmentally friendly product will not contaminate ground water supplies, hurt mammals, birds or fish so you can always feel good about using EcoSMART
- EcoSMART is 100% organic so you can feel confident using this completely safe formula around children and pets unlike other insecticide products that use harsh chemicals
- Take chemicals out of your lawn, garden, and home equation with EcoSMARTs all natural, strong insecticides, pesticides, bug spray and more
If you’re looking for an effective solution to your flying insect problem, but aren’t prepared to break the bank on traps or expensive insecticides, this spray from EcoSMART may be your best option.
EcoSMART has years of experience manufacturing different insect killers and repellents using only natural ingredients like essential oils. This particular blend does a number on flying insects like bees, wasps, and yellowjackets, and it does so at an affordable price.
The premise behind EcoSMART’s products is that plants have always had their own natural defenses in place to keep insects from harming them. EcoSMART has tried to harness those same defense mechanisms into a sprayable and dog safe bee killer.
Each can of EcoSMART can shoot a jet stream up to 18 feet, which makes it easy for you to spray insects while they’re a safe distance from you and your family. But, the most effective way to use EcoSMART is to find where the bees, yellowjackets, or wasps are nesting, and spray the entire nest. Within a few minutes, all the insects that come in contact with the spray will be dead.
In addition to being pet and animal safe, EcoSMART has one of the more pleasant smells of any insect repellent we’ve ever tried. The nasty chemical odor typical with most insecticides is replaced with a light peppermint scent that’s far less offensive.
What We Like
- Pet and child safe
- Smells great
- Effectively kills bees, wasps and other flying insects
What We Don’t Like
- Doesn’t spray the full 18 feet once the propellant starts to run out
- May harm certain plants
Bees and other insects can put a serious damper on your outdoor fun, and it can be difficult to find a treatment that’s safe for pets and kids. Each of the different products we’ve covered is safe and effective and can help keep your yard insect free.
While each of these products is a strong choice for the best dog safe bee killer, NBS30 from Outlast is the top performer in our opinion.
Last update on 2018-10-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API