Last Updated: June 2018
Before you add fertilizer to your yard, be sure to consider your pets. Unfortunately, some fertilizers are highly dangerous to dogs. There are options on the market that don’t harm dogs or cats, even for applications one per season. It is recommended homeowners apply fertilizers, let the lawn dry, and then allow pets or children enjoy the yard.
Pet safe products allow for your animal to enjoy the grass almost immediately. Whether you fertilize your grass on your own or hire a professional for the service, be sure only a dog safe fertilizer is used on your lawn. For people planting a new lawn, we recommend reading our recommendations for dog safe grass seeds as well.
Make the Right Decision for Your Pet
Fertilizers encourage growth in your yard by adding only natural elements to your soil. While these items are typically non-toxic, fertilizers often have insecticides to discourage insects from invading your grass.
When ingested, fertilizers with pesticides may cause problems like vomiting, drooling, gastrointestinal discomfort, seizures, and even poisoning. Purchase and use any of the best dog safe grass fertilizer if you want to treat your lawn without accidentally harming your pet.
Buy dog safe lawn fertilizer which is just as effective at encouraging growth in your yard. There are benefits of purchasing the right dog safe grass fertilizer for your home. The primary benefits include:
- Promoting growth of your grass with the addition of natural elements
- Likely composed only of safe, non-toxic ingredients
- Never worrying about your pet’s health while he or she is in your yard
- Protecting passersby from ingesting harmful fertilizer accidentally
- Improving your garden while also protecting the environment
- Reducing the burn spots caused by pet urine on your yard
The Dirty Gardener K9 Turf Fertilizer
- Prevents and restores burn spots caused from Dog Urine by helping balance PH in soils and building a stronger root system
- Compete lawn fertilizer and turf builder for thicker, greener lawns
- Helps restore and grow grass under pine trees/covers over 2500 Square Feet
- Safe in areas frequented by children and pets; Over 50% Organic
- Only product of its type on the market today
Looking for a grass fertilizer specific to pet owners? The Dirty Gardener K9 Turf Fertilizer is a complete lawn fertilizer made specifically with dog owners in mind. This complete lawn fertilizer and turf builder develops green and thick lawns. It comes highly recommended by previous purchasers who say, “it’s the real deal!”, “your grass will look emerald green,” “it is helping the grass fill bare spots,” and “this is the only thing that has EVER worked.”
Another interesting aspect of applying this product to your lawn is its ability to restore and grow grass underneath pine trees or vast areas of shade coverage.
- Prevents burn spots caused by urine from pets
- Maintains the natural pH of grass
- Suitable for areas frequented by children and pets
- Made from more than 50% organic material
- Encourages thicker grass growth in your yard
- A higher price point than other fertilizers on the market
- Requires a wait time more than other options
Pet Safe Lawn Fertilizer 5M
- Builds a thick green lawn
- Safe for humans, domestic animals and all wildlife
- Simply apply, water and play!
Let your dog run around outside without worrying about his or her safety once you apply a safe fertilizer. Pet Safe Lawn Fertilizer 5M is a 24-0-6 formula with a simple application process. All you do is spread the fertilizer, water the grass, and proceed to play (even before the soil dries). One 14.9-pound bag works for 5,000 square feet of lawn coverage. This brand is so pet focused, its name is “Pet Safe” and its packaging includes a photo of a dog on the bags.
- A more affordable price point than other pet safe products
- Online videos provided by the company help you direct online application
- Kids and dogs can safely play in the yard, even after application
- Quick dissolving into soil after watering
- A longer wait time for growth compared to other products
- A smaller bag size than other products
Scotts® Turf Builder® Lawn Fertilizer
No products found.
One of the top names in lawn fertilization and lawn care is Scotts. No matter the time of year or the season, Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Fertilizer is a solution which encourages the growth of grass and crowds out harmful weeds. This highly-rated product also protects your lawn against future problems. Available in two sizes, 5,000 and 15,000 square feet, these bags of products come with a product guarantee when you aren’t satisfied with results.
Individuals are allowed to purchase these products at stores or can hire a professional to spread the fertilizer throughout a yard.
- Associated with a strong lawn care brand
- Improving your lawn’s ability to absorb water
- Safe for pets and children after dry time
- Thickening your grass and killing weeds
- Get your money back if you don’t like the results you get from the product
- Requiring you to allow for drying before letting your dog on the grass
- Part of a comprehensive lawn care solution provided by a large company
Encourage Green Grass Growth with Dog Safe Fertilizer
More than anything, you want your dog to be safe even when outdoors. Look no further than these dog safe fertilizers if you want your grass to grow while you also keep your pet safe from harmful chemicals.
While all of our recommendations come highly recommended, the best of the best is Dirty Gardener K9 Turf Fertilizer. Your pet won’t experience any negative symptoms like seizures or drooling when you use this dog safe fertilizer. In addition, you will experience all of the benefits of a regular fertilizer while also protecting the health of your pets and children.
Any of the options recommended are effective solutions for your yard. After application of any product, be sure to allow time for growth of new grass. Fertilizer isn’t an overnight solution because grass must grow for you to see results. Whether you have a dog or children running around in your yard, you’ll love the look of your fresh, green grass.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will Putting Lime On My Lawn Hurt My Dog?
Lime fertilizer for lawns is typically considered safe, but it should absolutely be used with caution if you have dogs. There are different types of lime, but quick lime should be avoided on lawns as it is very irritating to the skin on humans and pets. The other types of lime are less irritating and generally aren’t considered toxic, but you should still monitor your pet after application when they are outside.
Last update on 2018-10-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API