Dog Safe Grass Seeds – Your Guide to Green Grass and Safe Dogs
Whether you just moved into a new home and want to redo the yard or need to find some grass seeds to cover a few patches in your garden, you need to look for a pet-friendly option when shopping for grass seeds. Few people realize that grass seeds can be harmful to their pets. Here is how you can find the best dog safe grass seeds. If you’re looking to improve your existing lawn, we recommend you read our recommendations for dog safe grass fertilizers as well.
Why Are Grass Seeds Dangerous to Dogs?
Because they are so small and typically have an arrow shape, seeds can easily embed into your dog’s skin. This can form a painful boil and a seed can eventually affect internal organs if it travels in an animal’s body.
Seeds are small enough to lodge themselves inside of a dog’s ear canal or under an eyelid. If your dog inhales or swallows a seed, it could end up stuck in their throat or lungs.
There are additional dangers with grass seeds coated with chemicals to help with growth. Your dog could be exposed to harmful chemicals if they accidentally swallow one of these seeds or if it gets embedded in their skin.
How To Keep Your Pet Safe From Grass Seeds
If you need to plant some seeds in your yard, keep your dog away from this area as much as possible. Choose seeds that should be buried as deep as possible into the ground. Avoid seeds with added chemicals.
You should also brush your dog’s coat to get rid of grass seeds that get caught in their fur. Inspect your dog’s paws carefully since this is where seeds typically get embedded and form boils.
Reviews of The Best Dog Safe Grass Seeds
Below, we’ve compiled a few of the best products currently on the market.
Pennington Smart Seed Sun & Shade Mix N 7 lb.
- Uses up to 30% less water versus ordinary grass seed
- Grass establishes quickly
- Contains grass seed varieties that thrive in both sun and shade
- Produces a thick, fine bladed, dark blue-green lawn
- Very good drought tolerance
These pet-friendly grass seeds should be buried 1/8” deep into the ground. This should prevent your dog from coming into contact with the seeds, but you should still keep your dog away from the area where you planted the seeds.
These seeds are ideal for sunny and shady areas. The lawn will come in thick and have a blue-green coloration.
This grass is tolerant of drought and adapts well to different climates. It does not require a lot of maintenance and does well without frequent watering.
You will be able to cover up to 1,000 square feet with this 3 lb. bag and will find that your new lawn resists well to diseases and insects.
- Pet-friendly option.
- The grass is thick and has a nice color.
- It doesn’t require frequent watering.
- Resistant to diseases and insects.
- You will need to water the lawn frequently at first.
- It doesn’t seem to grow as fast as other options.
Jonathan Green 41000 Heavy Traffic Grass Seed, 7 lb
- 7 lb, heavy traffic grass seed mixture
- A hardy mixture of grasses for tough areas with hard wear
- Manufactured in China
These seeds are pet-friendly since you need to work them into the ground. You will be able to cover 2,800 square feet with this 7 lb. bag.
Your lawn will grow fast and won’t require much maintenance. This seed mixture is entirely natural and is very resistant to diseases and bugs.
This is an ideal option for sunny areas, but you will find that these seeds are resistant enough for shaded areas as well.
- Your dog won’t be exposed to grass seeds.
- Very resistant grass with low maintenance.
- Affordable price.
- Grows well in sunny areas.
- Some shoppers said the grass grows too thick.
- Regular mowing is needed since the grass grows fast.
Kentucky 31 Tall Fescue 50 lbs
These grass seeds are an ideal choice if you are looking for a low maintenance option. These seeds do not require much water and adapt well to a wide range of climates.
Your lawn will look great all year round and won’t be prone to diseases. You will need to work these seeds into the ground, which should protect your dog from being exposed to grass seeds.
You can cover 15,00 square feet with this 50-lb. bag. This is a very cost-efficient option if you need to cover a large area.
- This is an affordable and durable solution.
- Keep your dog safe by working the seeds into the ground.
- Adapts well to different climates.
- It does not seem to grow as well in shaded areas.
- You might not need a 50 lb. bag.
The Dirty Gardener Creeping Red Fescue Lawn Grass – 5 Pounds
- Great for full or partial shade areas
- Great for seeding under trees
- Drought tolerant
- Maximum growing height of 14"
- Very fine bladed
These creeping red fescue seeds are an interesting choice if you want a low-maintenance lawn. The creeping growth habit of this type of grass means you won’t have to worry about empty patches. The downside is that you will need to mow the lawn more often if you want to keep it off pathways and other areas.
These seeds will grow best when worked 1/8 to ¼” deep into the ground, which makes this product a pet-friendly grass seed. These seeds will do well in dry and shaded areas but will require more water in sunny areas.
You will be able to cover 1,000 square feet with this 5 lb. bag. Your lawn should grow quickly and you will need to water it at least once a week, maybe more during the warmer months.
- Pet-friendly option.
- Creeping growth habit means no empty patches.
- Grows very well in dry and shaded areas.
- It requires more watering in sunny areas.
- Not ideal if you don’t have well-drained soil.
If you are looking for versatile pet-friendly grass seed, your best option is Pennington Smart Seed Sun & Shade Mix N 7 lb. You can protect your dog from exposure to grass seeds by working the seeds into the ground and you won’t have to worry about exposure to chemicals since this is a natural product.
This grass seed makes sense if you are a pet owner. This heavy traffic lawn will require less maintenance if you have a dog and children who like to play outside!
Last update on 2020-07-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API