Dying your dog’s fur is fun and your four-legged companion will look absolutely adorable. Whether you want to dye your dog’s fur for a holiday, a special event or just for fashion’s sake, choose one of the best dog safe hair dyes and be sure to follow the instructions.
Why Shouldn’t I Use Regular Hair Dye?
Dogs lick their fur for grooming purposes. They also have a natural tendency to lick the new things they encounter. If you apply hair dyes meant for humans on your dog’s fur, you will expose your pet to harmful chemicals.
Hair dyes made for human hair have a pH adapted to human skin. Because animals have a very different skin pH, these products are likely to cause an adverse reaction.
How To Safely Color Your Pet’s Fur
You can have some fun with pet-friendly hair dyes without endangering your best friend. Take the time to read the instructions that came with the product you selected, follow them carefully, and pay attention to stress-levels since this process could upset a dog who is naturally prone to stress.
Follow these tips to safely color your pet’s fur:
- Avoid applying dye near the eyes, ears, and mouth. Avoid applying dye in areas that your dog often licks for grooming.
- Test the hair dye on a small portion of your dog’s fur to make sure there are no adverse reactions.
- If possible, use pet safe hair dye with ingredients that you would also find in food colorings. This will limit the risks of exposure to harmful chemicals if your pet licks its fur.
- Use a dog shampoo to rinse the hair dye, and don’t leave it on for longer that you have to if your dog shows signs of stress.
Choose The Right Type Of Dog Hair Dye
The best dog safe hair dye depends on the results you want. Ask yourself if you want bright colors or want to dye your dog’s fur to get a more natural result.
You should also check the list of ingredients and make sure the dye you choose is ammonia-free and doesn’t contain any additional chemicals.
There are a few different types of dog hair dyes:
- Gels and liquids, which usually need to be applied on wet fur. Note that you will have to leave these dyes on for at least 15 minutes. These are typically semi-permanent dyes.
- Chalk dyes. These are very easy to apply and ideal for temporary applications.
- Blow pens. Use these pens to blow hair dye onto your dog’s fur. You can use them with stencils to create designs, or easily color a large portion of your dog’s fur.
Reviews Of The Our Favorite Dog Safe Hair Dyes
Dog Hair Dye Gel by Top Performance
Top Performance offers 6 vibrant nontoxic gels you can use to safely dye your dog’s fur. With names like screaming pink, magic purple, or glamour gold, you can expect vibrant colors. The gel formula makes applying the dye a lot less messy than with other types of hair dyes.
The dying process is very easy. You can color small areas on dry fur, but the color will take better on wet fur if you want to dye a larger portion. You can easily mix colors to create a unique design, or create a multi-color design if you want for one color to dry before applying another.
- Choose from 6 colors.
- Vegetable-based dye is safe.
- The dye typically lasts 4 to 6 washes.
- Gel formula is easy to apply and not messy.
- Works best on light fur.
- Does not take well on some coat types.
Dog Hair Dye Gel by OwPawz
Owpawz made 15 safe gel dyes so you can color your dog’s fur without having to worry about adverse reactions. The bright colors include blue, pink, green, orange, and more. You can mix and match colors to create your own design or even mix two gels to create a new color.
We really liked the fact that this gel comes in a tube. All you have to do is gently squeeze the tube and you can dispense the gel on the portion that you want to dye without making a mess.
These pet friendly hair dyes last for up to 6 washes and contain nontoxic ingredients.
- Application is very easy thanks to the tube design.
- Choose from 15 bright colors.
- Nontoxic ingredients.
- Lasting results
- Not ideal if you want something temporary.
- Pricier than other options.
Warren London Critter Color
Warren London offers 7 hair color variations, perfect for creating a colorful design on your four-legged companion’s fur. This hair dye is very easy to apply with spray bottle, brush, fingers, or air brush.
This is a temporary pet-friendly hair dye. The color should not last for more than two days (2 to three washes) and you can remove it faster by shampooing your dog. These hair dyes are made is USA and contain only natural ingredients.
- You get 6 different colors.
- Application is easy and not messy.
- Ideal for temporary designs.
- Super easy application
- Made in USA
- Not recommended for dogs younger than 12 weeks.
- Some shoppers complain that the color wears off quickly.
The Dog Hair Dye Gel by OwPawz is your best option if you are looking for a safe semi-permanent dye. You will get vibrant colors and the tube makes it easy to apply the hair dye without making a mess.
If you are looking for a temporary dog safe dye, the Warren London Critter Color is a fun way to color your dog’s fur. You can create some original designs and easily wash the dye off the next day!
Remember to use the hair dye as directed, and consider shopping for stencils to create some fun designs.
Hi, I’m Jacob. I’ve been a professional blogger for over 6 years and in that time I’ve written countless blogs that have reached millions of people. I am a DVM by profession but all you need to know is that I LOVE DOGS!
SDO started way back in 2015 on a whim. I’d read a couple of dozen blogs online while searching for the best products for my pup and the amount of misinformation online from unqualified sources giving potentially harmful advice shocked me. Then suddenly it hit me, hey, I can do this too! And I can do this RIGHT! Without even knowing what a blog was or how it makes money. I jumped right in to share the years of knowledge I have of dogs with the world.
Within a few months I realized that people were reacting extremely positively to my blogs. My website had taken off and I would receive countless emails from happy dog owners telling me how my website was a God-send for them and their pups were doing so much better after they followed my advice. I would get so many questions as well, and in my attempt to consolidate and answer all the questions I would get from my readers, my blog has evolved to the website you see today. Over the years I encouraged my good friend Tina who is also a DVM to share her experiences and better guide the people who read us. By the Grace of God we now reach close a million people a year and we get such a warm feedback on how we have made life easier for new dog owners all over the globe.
As a dog owner only you would know the feeling you get when you come home at night and you pup is there at the door wagging their tail in sheer joy. The bond a person and their dog share can not be explained in mere words. Yet dogs are like children, and they need to be cared for and trained, and that’s why Smart Dog Owner exists, to give you the precise and exact information that you seek about your dog. No matter how minute that detail is, chances are we will be there to help you out! As someone who has raised 7 of her own dogs. Jacob will always help you out.