Dying your dog’s fur is fun and your four-legged companion will look absolutely adorable. Whether you want to dye your dog’s fur for a holiday, a special event or just for fashion’s sake, choose one of the best dog safe hair dyes and be sure to follow the instructions.
Why Shouldn’t I Use Regular Hair Dye?
Dogs lick their fur for grooming purposes. They also have a natural tendency to lick the new things they encounter. If you apply hair dyes meant for humans on your dog’s fur, you will expose your pet to harmful chemicals.
Hair dyes made for human hair have a pH adapted to human skin. Because animals have a very different skin pH, these products are likely to cause an adverse reaction.
How To Safely Color Your Pet’s Fur
You can have some fun with pet-friendly hair dyes without endangering your best friend. Take the time to read the instructions that came with the product you selected, follow them carefully, and pay attention to stress-levels since this process could upset a dog who is naturally prone to stress.
Follow these tips to safely color your pet’s fur:
- Avoid applying dye near the eyes, ears, and mouth. Avoid applying dye in areas that your dog often licks for grooming.
- Test the hair dye on a small portion of your dog’s fur to make sure there are no adverse reactions.
- If possible, use pet safe hair dye with ingredients that you would also find in food colorings. This will limit the risks of exposure to harmful chemicals if your pet licks its fur.
- Use a dog shampoo to rinse the hair dye, and don’t leave it on for longer that you have to if your dog shows signs of stress.
Choose The Right Type Of Dog Hair Dye
The best dog safe hair dye depends on the results you want. Ask yourself if you want bright colors or want to dye your dog’s fur to get a more natural result.
You should also check the list of ingredients and make sure the dye you choose is ammonia-free and doesn’t contain any additional chemicals.
There are a few different types of dog hair dyes:
- Gels and liquids, which usually need to be applied on wet fur. Note that you will have to leave these dyes on for at least 15 minutes. These are typically semi-permanent dyes.
- Chalk dyes. These are very easy to apply and ideal for temporary applications.
- Blow pens. Use these pens to blow hair dye onto your dog’s fur. You can use them with stencils to create designs, or easily color a large portion of your dog’s fur.
Reviews Of The Our Favorite Dog Safe Hair Dyes
Dog Hair Dye Gel by Top Performance
- Available in bright, fun colors in 4-ounce jars
- Easy-to-work-with gel is less messy than liquids
- Groomers can imagine fanciful designs and then colorfully and artistically create them
- Safe for dogs over 12 weeks old
Top Performance offers 12 vibrant nontoxic vegetable-based gels you can use to safely dye your dog’s fur. With names like screaming pink, magic purple, or glamour gold, you can expect vibrant colors. The gel formula makes applying the dye a lot less messy than with other types of hair dyes.
The dying process is very easy. You can color small areas on dry fur, but the color will take better on wet fur if you want to dye a larger portion. You can easily mix colors to create a unique design, or create a multi-color design if you want for one color to dry before applying another.
- Choose from 12 colors.
- Vegetable-based dye is safe.
- The dye typically lasts 4 to 6 washes.
- Gel formula is easy to apply and not messy.
- Works best on light fur.
- Does not take well on some coat types.
Dog Hair Dye Gel by OwPawz
- Color: Red
- Each tube contains 4 oz of gel - Tube makes it super easy to use.
- Tube style dispensing makes hair dye process easy and more fun!
- Completely non-toxic and semi-permanent. Bright, fun colors for stylish pets!
- New body style, just squeeze the tube to dispense the dye, no mess!
Owpawz made 7 safe gel dyes so you can color your dog’s fur without having to worry about adverse reactions. The bright colors include blue, pink, green, orange, and more. You can mix and match colors to create your own design or even mix two gels to create a new color.
We really liked the fact that this gel comes in a tube. All you have to do is gently squeeze the tube and you can dispense the gel on the portion that you want to dye without making a mess.
These pet friendly hair dyes last for up to 6 washes and contain nontoxic ingredients.
- Application is very easy thanks to the tube design.
- Choose from 7 bright colors.
- Nontoxic ingredients.
- Lasting results
- Not ideal if you want something temporary.
- Pricier than other options.
PetPeri Professional Temporary Dog Hair Dye Pens Set (6pcs/pack)
This set of 6 hair dye pens is perfect if you want to create a colorful design on your four-legged companion’s fur. This hair dye is very easy to apply since you can directly color on your dog’s fur with the pen.
This is a temporary pet-friendly hair dye. The color should not last for more than two days and you can remove it faster by shampooing your dog.
The pens do not make a mess and you can easily do some touch ups to your design if you want to make it last longer.
These hair dyes contain only natural ingredients. You can choose from two sets of pens – one with brighter colors and one with darker dyes.
- You get 6 different colors.
- Application is easy and not messy.
- Ideal for temporary designs.
- You can touch up your design.
- Coloring your dog’s fur takes time because the pens are fairly small.
- Some shoppers didn’t like the waxy texture of the pens.
The Dog Hair Dye Gel by OwPawz is your best option if you are looking for a safe semi-permanent dye. You will get vibrant colors and the tube makes it easy to apply the hair dye without making a mess.
If you are looking for a temporary dog safe dye, the PetPeri Professional Temporary Dog Hair Dye Pens Set (6pcs/pack) is a fun way to color your dog’s fur. You can create some original designs and easily wash the dye off the next day!
Remember to use the hair dye as directed, and consider shopping for stencils to create some fun designs.
Last update on 2019-03-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API