Is your dog currently in training, or are they generally a nightmare to walk on a leash with? A full body dog harness may be the answer for you. Full body dog harnesses are also ideal for adventure dogs, and dogs with disabilities, too.
Below, we’ll take a closer look at what you should shop for in a harness. Then, we’ll share some of the best full body harnesses available for your pup.
Choosing a Full Body Dog Harness
Before buying a harness, take a look at these tips below, which can help you select the most secure and comfortable harness for your pup.
The most important thing to consider when shopping for a harness is fit. An ill-fitting harness will be easy for your dog to escape from, and they can also be uncomfortable. Most harnesses are sized based on the dog’s neck and chest. Be sure to take both the neck measurement, and the chest measurement to ensure you select the proper size.
Most harnesses are made from nylon or oxford materials, but some may be made from leather or other materials. If you’re looking for a harness that’s easy to wash and maintain, you may want to choose a nylon or fabric harness.
The last thing to consider is the amount of padding the harness offers. Padding can help make harnesses more comfortable for your dog, but extra padding isn’t always a good thing. Short haired breeds benefit from extra padding as it helps prevent irritation. But, long hair breeds may have an easier time escaping from a heavily padded harness.
Why Choose a Full Body Dog Harness
The reasons for choosing this style of harness over a traditional harness or collar are many, including:
- More comfortable for your dog
- More control for the owner
- Helps teach dogs how to walk on a leash
- Lift handles help dogs traverse obstacles, or get in and out of vehicles
Best Overall – Ruffwear Web Master Multi-Use Harness
- Super secure: Anatomically designed for canine companions with a nose for adventure; Ideal for challenging terrains, working dogs, service dog handlers, and amputee dogs
- Lift and assist: Made for maneuvering, the padded, reinforced handle is designed to safely and comfortably help your dog up and over obstacles
- Customizable fit: 5 convenient points of adjustment for full range of motion; 2 sturdy leash connection points; Anodized aluminum V-ring and webbing loop
- Built to last: Durable construction for a high-performance, lightweight feel; Resilient, rugged, and made for year-round use; With reflective trim and safety light loop (Beacon light sold separately)
- Padded for comfort: Foam-padded straps provide lasting comfort without hindering movement; Designated area for patches and signage
If you’re looking for the absolute best full body dog harness you can find, then you’ll want to take a closer look at the Web Master from Ruffwear.
This harness featured industry-leading construction quality and heavy-duty components that are designed to stand up to anything you and your pup can dish out. In fact, the Web Master is favored by many avalanche rescue dog programs and service dog trainers. This harness is also ideal for amputee dogs as well.
The Web Master is made from durable ripstop nylon and features thin but supportive padding in all of the key areas along the back and chest. There are five different adjustment points which allow you to get a truly custom fit for your pup.
The 3M reflective piping is a stylish touch, and it also helps to make this harness more visible in low light situations. For use at night, there’s also an attachment for Ruffwear’s Beacon clip light, which makes it even easier to see your dog.
This harness features two different leash attachments – one towards the front, which provides more control and one towards the back, which allows for a more leisurely walk. The back attachment is perfect for more docile dogs, and dogs who are leash trained well. Meanwhile, the front attachment is perfect if you need greater control over your dog when they’re on a leash.
While this harness may be favored by adventure or service dogs, it’s also ideal for your everyday escape artist as well. The design of this harness makes it virtually impossible to slip out of, even for dogs who can quickly work their way out of other harnesses. Since this harness attaches over the middle, instead of the front legs, it also provides extra support for tripawds, as well.
What We Liked
- Five adjustment points allow for a perfect fit
- Reflective safety piping
- Virtually impossible to slip out of
- Dual leash attachments
- Heavy-duty construction
What Could Be Better
- Sizing – Even the smallest sizes can be too long for compact breeds
- Less support for lifting dog
Best Value – Rabbitgoo No Pull Dog Harness
- Medium Dog Harness - Recommended Breeds: Medium Dogs, such as Boston Terrier, Dachshund, Heeler, Bulldog, Boxer, Puggle, Australian Shepherd, etc. Please measure the size carefully before purchasing this present for your puppy. Make your puppy stand out with this Vibrant Lime Harness!
- No Pull, No Choke - Our non-pulling dog harness is specially designed with 2 metal leash rings for safer dog walks. Use the chest attachment clip to stop your dog from pulling on walks, perfect for dog training or dogs who tend to pull. The back one is great for casual walks, jogging, hiking, etc
- Easy to Use - This hassle-free overhead harness is easy to put on and take off with its 2 fast-release buckles. Slide the harness over your dog's head, buckle it up, adjust the straps, and here you go! Grab the top handle for additional control. Lightweight and easy to clean
- Fully Adjustable - This adjustable harness features 4 easy adjusting straps around the body. You can use its 2 neck straps and 2 chest straps to create a perfect fit for your dog with some room of growth. No worries about slipping out or choking
- Safe and Comfortable - Your dog will enjoy the daily walk in this comfort dog harness! Made of durable nylon oxford and padded with soft cushion to protect your dog's skin. Breathable air mesh keeps your dog cool during outdoor activities. Super bright reflective strips ensure a safe walk both day and night
If you’re looking for a harness that has premium features without the premium price point, this harness from Rabbitgoo may be a good option for you.
The harness itself is constructed from durable nylon and features thick padding to provide your dog with added comfort. The inner material of the harness is highly breathable, which your dog is sure to appreciate, especially on longer walks and adventures.
The wide chest harness also helps to make the harness comfortable for all dogs, even pullers, and it also helps ensure that you have total control over your dog on walks. Two D-ring leash loops allow you to attach your leash to either the dog’s chest or back.
Like the more expensive Web Master above, reflective stitching makes it easier for your dog to be seen in low lighting. Rabbitgoo also makes a version of this harness with integrated LED lighting to make it even easier to see your dog at night.
A durable handle at the rear of the harness allows you to easily lift your dog to assist them over obstacles, or with getting in or out of the car. The handle is well designed, which helps make this model one of the best full body dog lifting harness options.
What We Liked
- Extra wide chest harness – perfect for dogs that pull
- Reflective stitching
- Well balanced lifting handle
- Breathable fabric
What Could Be Better
- Straps are a little difficult to adjust
- Leash attachment points are made of plastic
- Not heavy-duty enough for 100+ pound breeds
Best Budget – Barkbay Control Harness
- EVERYDAY DOG HARNESS: This No Pull Dog Harness is Constructed from lightweight No Rip Nylon and Anti-Chafe Padding,Perfect for running, hiking and walking
- GREAT FOR PULLERS: No pull Front leadinghalt ring for more control helping you train them to heel and to stop pulling! and D-ring on the back for more relaxed walks.Also with Anti-chafe padding, Pressure is Evenly Distributed to the Body to Prevent Pulling and Choking
- Easy to put on and take off on your dog hassle free,Unique Adjustable Strap Design for a secure, comfy fit,4 points of adjustment for a near custom fit
- Ultra Reflective Strips to keep your dog visible even at night
- Top Easy Lift Handle for extra safety and control
While most control harnesses cost upwards of $30, this harness from Barkbay provides plenty of high-end features at one of the most affordable price points we’ve seen. At under $20, this harness can compete with many of the more expensive adventure dog harnesses on the market.
The design of this harness is similar to the Rabbitgoo harness above, and it’s constructed from an outer shell of durable oxford with thick, soft padding throughout the chest and back of the harness. 3M reflective stitching is used throughout, and it’s highly reflective in low light situations.
There are four easy to use adjustment points to provide your dog with a custom fit over the neck and through the chest. Four highly adjustable sizes are available, so you should be able to tailor the perfect fit for your pup, regardless of how big or small they are.
The wide chest section of this harness is ideal for dogs who like to pull, and it provides owners with added control over their pup. Two heavy-duty leash attachment rings are provided – one at the chest for added control while your dog is training and one at the back for when your dog is fully leash trained.
A heavy duty handle at the back of the harness provides additional control and allows you to assist your dog over obstacles, or into and out of your car.
What We Like
- Extra-wide chest panel
- Highly adjustable to fit different breeds
- Heavy-duty leash attachment rings
- Well balanced handle for lifting your dog
- Thick, soft padding for added comfort
What Could Be Better
- Size chart is misleading – Be sure to size down if your dog is between two sizes
- Difficult to adjust
Wrapping It Up
Whether you’re looking for an everyday harness to make walking your dog easier, or a tactical model that’s perfect for adventures with your pup, all three of these full body dog harness options make for great choices. The Web Master harness from Ruffwear is our overall choice thanks to it’s practically escape-proof design, durability, and fit.
Regardless of the harness you choose, make sure that it fits your dog well, is comfortable, and above all, secure. A well-fitting harness will provide you and your dog with years of enjoyment on all your walks and adventures.
Hi, I’m Jacob. I’ve been a professional blogger for over 6 years and in that time I’ve written countless blogs that have reached millions of people. I am a DVM by profession but all you need to know is that I LOVE DOGS!
SDO started way back in 2015 on a whim. I’d read a couple of dozen blogs online while searching for the best products for my pup and the amount of misinformation online from unqualified sources giving potentially harmful advice shocked me. Then suddenly it hit me, hey, I can do this too! And I can do this RIGHT! Without even knowing what a blog was or how it makes money. I jumped right in to share the years of knowledge I have of dogs with the world.
Within a few months I realized that people were reacting extremely positively to my blogs. My website had taken off and I would receive countless emails from happy dog owners telling me how my website was a God-send for them and their pups were doing so much better after they followed my advice. I would get so many questions as well, and in my attempt to consolidate and answer all the questions I would get from my readers, my blog has evolved to the website you see today. Over the years I encouraged my good friend Tina who is also a DVM to share her experiences and better guide the people who read us. By the Grace of God we now reach close a million people a year and we get such a warm feedback on how we have made life easier for new dog owners all over the globe.
As a dog owner only you would know the feeling you get when you come home at night and you pup is there at the door wagging their tail in sheer joy. The bond a person and their dog share can not be explained in mere words. Yet dogs are like children, and they need to be cared for and trained, and that’s why Smart Dog Owner exists, to give you the precise and exact information that you seek about your dog. No matter how minute that detail is, chances are we will be there to help you out! As someone who has raised 7 of her own dogs. Jacob will always help you out.
Last update on 2021-09-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API