Last Update: June 2018
Making paw prints with your dog is a great way to create a memorable keepsake, and it can also be a fun art project that you and your pup can take part in. But, before you get started, it’s essential that you know how to select the best paw print ink so you can ensure that you won’t be exposing your dog to any toxic or dangerous substances.
Today, we’ll take a closer look at some fun DIY art projects you can complete with your dog, and help you select the best ink for dog paw print projects.
Things to Consider Before Getting Started
Before embarking on your next art project with your pup, there are some important things you’ll need to keep in mind.
Non-Toxic is a Must
Be sure to select ink that’s non-toxic so that you don’t have to worry about the ink making your dog sick. Taking a baby’s hand or footprints when they’re born is a popular keepsake, and there are plenty of inks available for this purpose. These inks are an excellent choice because they’re exceptionally safe, and many of them are also washable, which helps make cleanup much more manageable.
If you’re looking for your paw prints to last a lifetime, you may wish to choose an archival ink. Archival art products are of a high-quality level, and they tend to last much longer than non-archival inks. Lesser quality inks may fade or degrade over the years, but archival inks are designed to last for 70 years or longer.
Alternatives to Ink
While ink is a popular way to capture your pups paw prints, you can also choose paint instead. Just like when dealing with ink, you’ll want to make sure you’re selecting a non-toxic paint. Keep in mind that just like ink, some paints last longer than others do. Acrylic and tempera paints are the most popular option, but watercolor can also be used.
Best Paw Print Ink Options for DIY Projects
Little Keepsakes Baby Safe Ink Print Kit – Best Overall Pick
- Two sets of LARGE 5x3 ink strips (total of 4 sheets) makes up to 4 - 8 keepsake footprints or handprints for most children under 12 months.
- Comes with acid free archive quality card stock and two 8x10 souvenir birth certificates.
- Improved washable footprint ink formula cleans off easily with soap and water. Larger print surface can be used for adults and older children too.
- Everything you need conveniently packaged to take along with you to the hospital to capture your newborn baby's first footprints. Made in the USA. Safe for newborns and pets - Non-toxic, latex free, and no harsh chemicals.
- Fade resistant dark ink made specifically for taking prints gives greater detail in baby footprints or handprints and no special paper required.
This ink print kit from Little Keepsakes includes everything you need to create long-lasting, archive quality prints.
Included in each kit are a total of 4 ink sheets, archival quality acid-free 8.5×11 cardstock, and two souvenir birth certificates (that probably won’t be of much use to you for your puppy projects). This kit is easy to use, and it includes everything you need to complete basic projects.
Since this ink is intended to capture a baby’s hand and footprints, it’s non-toxic as well as acid, lead and latex free. Perhaps most importantly, it’s washable, so you’ll be able to remove any excess ink from your pet’s paws quickly.
The kit comes in a resealable bag and can be stored away anywhere once you’re finished. If you’re looking for an all-in-one solution to take basic paw prints of your dog, this kit may be your best option.
- Provides everything you’ll need for basic paw print projects
- Ink is washable and safe for your dog
- Creates dark, detailed and fade resistant prints
- Ink sheets aren’t reusable
- Includes some accessories you may not need
Ranger Archival Ink Pad – Best Budget Pick
- PERMANENT INK - Ranger Archival Jet Black Ink provides lasting stamping results that are permanent on matte and gloss papers. The color is a rich, true black.
- EXCEPTIONAL RESULTS - When stamping with jet black Archival ink you will get a crisp, vivid image that does not bleed or smudge when painted over with water colors, water-based inks, markers or pearl pigments.
- WATERPROOF - Archival black ink is acid-free, non-toxic and waterproof.
- DRYING OPTIONS - Jet black ink quickly air dries on matte surfaces. On glossy surfaces, allow 20 minutes to dry or heat set for faster results.
- FIND YOUR INSPIRATION - Since 1954, Darice has been inspiring creativity with the best value and selection of art and craft supplies for every level crafter. From scrapbooking to jewelry making, kids' crafts to fine art, floral design to your latest Pinterest project, Darice has over 45,000 items for every level of crafter.
If you’re looking for an archival quality ink pad that’s also affordable, Ranger ink pads may be your best option.
These inks from Ranger are available in a variety of different colors, each of which is non-toxic, acid-free and waterproof. Plus, they’re very affordable, and each pad costs less than five dollars.
If you’re looking for ink that’s made to last and will retain its color and detail for many years to come, these Ranger inks may be your best bet. Ranger also manufactures a full line of ink products, including liquid ink refills and cleaners to ensure that your ink pad will work well for years to come.
- High-quality archival ink
- Non-toxic and acid-free
- Doesn’t bleed
- Not washable – may linger on your pets’ paws
- Clean up may be a bit of a chore
Educational Insights Washable Jumbo Stamp Pad – Best Value Pick
- Large size
- Washable ink
- Measures 5.5"L x 3.25"H
- Easy cleanup on skin and clothes
If you’re looking for a great value option for your DIY art projects with your dog, this pad from Educational Insights may make a good choice.
Unlike other pads which are much smaller, this pad is a large 3.25” wide by 5.5” long, which makes this ink pad a good option for larger dogs.
Thanks to its large size, you’ll be able to use this ink pad time after time to create paw prints with your pup, which helps to make this item a great value compared to some of its competitors.
- Large size
- Non-toxic and acid-free
- Not archival quality – will fade over time
While all of the options above are great choices for DIY paw print ink art projects with your dog, we believe one option is superior to the others. The Little Keepsakes Baby Safe Ink Print Kit includes ink, as well as archival quality paper. The ink is rich in color and high quality, and it can be easily discarded when you’re finished using it. This ink is safe enough for newborn babies, so it’ll certainly be safe enough for your pup. Plus, it’s washable, so cleanup is a breeze.
Frequently Asked Questions – Safe To Use Ink For Dog Paws
How Can You Get Your Dogs Paw Print As A Tattoo?
If you’d like a paw print tattoo of your pet’s paw, the easiest way is to put an imprint of their paw on a piece of paper (using paint or ink). Your tattoo artist can then create the tracing. If you have a clay pawprint of your pet who’s passed away, you can take the paw imprint to your tattoo artist and they can make a photocopy for the tracing.
Last update on 2020-03-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API