Dogs have an unfortunate habit of running through your legs when it’s time for a night walk and dashing out into the street. This, of course, turns into an even worse situation with a car barreling down the street not taking into consideration your dog enjoying its freedom in the pitch dark. However bad this situation can continue, we found a quick fix for you and your dog. A reflective collar is a great tool to use on a daily basis when walking your dog. These harnesses offer a no pull design which is perfect for training your dog to walk on leash and reflective straps to alert drivers where you are walking your dog. Below, we broke down what other advantages you may encounter with a reflective harness and the top 3 harnesses on the market to try.
Advantages of Your Dog Using A Reflective Harness
There are a number of benefits that come with using a reflective dog harness that makes them ideal for training and night walks.
- Harnesses are Safer Than Collars
Harnesses place less pressure on your dog’s throat than a collar would, making them a lot safer to use. This is especially true for larger breeds and dogs that pull when walking. Harnesses are more comfortable for you pup and cause fewer injuries. To get the most out of your dog’s harness, make sure it fits correctly and you can slide two fingers between the harness and the dog
- Extra Precautions if Your Dog Escapes
As much as we may hate to admit it, sometimes dogs escape our view. Either somebody forgets to close the front door or your dog slips out of his collar. It happens to everybody, but that does not make it less nerve wracking. With cars rushing by, danger is everywhere. However, if your pup is wearing a reflective harness, they will more likely be seen by oncoming traffic and less likely to be injured
- Increased Nighttime Visibility
This is the main advantage to buying a reflective harness. Whether you are going for a night walk or end up playing in the park after nightfall, a reflective harness is a necessity. This will help you and anybody else be able to locate your pup and keep them out of harm’s way.
How To Choose The Right Reflective Harness For Your Dog
There are a number of factors you should consider when choosing a reflective harness.
- Price: Reflective dog harnesses are available in a range of different prices. There is something out there to meet almost everyone’s budget requirements. The price is usually dependent on the material, style of the harness and the brand.
- Material: Most reflective harnesses are made of a waterproof nylon and mesh with reflective accents. There are also leather harnesses, but these rarely include reflective pieces.
- Comfort: Some reflective harnesses come with padding. The padding in a harness adds a level of comfort for your pup. For additional comfort, some harnesses include mesh inserts, which are comfortable and breathable.
- Sizing: This is one of the most important factors to consider when picking out your reflective harness. Most harnesses are adjustable, but you still must ensure you are purchasing the correct size. You need to make sure the harness fits properly otherwise it can be dangerous for your dog. Your pup could slip out of it and escape if it is too big or it could chafe the skin if it is too small. To ensure the harness fits, check out the sizing guides or better yet, try it on before you buy it.
Top 3 Reflective Harnesses For Your Dog
1. Big Dog Soft Reflective No Pull Harness
One of the most popular reflective dog harnesses is the Big Dog No Pull Harness. Not only can this harness be a great tool for teaching your dog how to heel and walk on a leash better, but it comes with a reflective strap for safer night walking. The harness is made of a high-durable construction and includes a hard metal ring to attach leads or leashes with a heavy duty strap for picking up your dog. Overall, it is a great harness with tons of colors and size options to choose from depending on what breed your dog is.
- Comes in a variety of sizes and colors
- Reflective strap along the top
- Heavy duty metal color strap
- Can cause minimal irritation to your dog’s neck if tightened too much
2. Chai’s Choice Reflective Vest Harness
Chai’s Choice reflective dog harnesses are a great buy for any dog owner. They come in a wide range of colors and sizes as well as having the advantage of being lightweight and easy to put on. With a vibrant and sleek design accompanied by reflective strips, walking your dog at night will be easier than ever.
- Comes in an array of different sizes and colors
- Comfortable nylon webbing with additional reflective material for night walks
- Leash/lead clips on front and back of harness
- Requires constant adjustments before walks
3. EXPAWLORER No Pull Front Reflective Vest Harness
If you’re looking for a durable and lightweight reflective harness for your dog, look no further. The EXPAWLORER no pull reflective harness is not only comfortable for your dog during longer walks but is made of a lightweight reflective mesh which is perfect for taking your dog out at night. With a variety of colors and sizes to choose from, your dog will love this new, easy to use harness.
- Comes in a variety of sizes and colors
- Extra strong nylon webbing with reflective design
- Comfortable and lightweight
- If tightened too much, it can lead to irritation under your dog’s armpits
Reflective harnesses are a must have for safety-conscious dog owners. Out of the 3 dog harnesses we reviewed, we found the EXPAWLORER to be the best harness to buy. We took into detail the design, comfortability, and featured aspects of the harness and it took the cake. Especially with its growing popularity among medium-sized dogs, I highly recommend trying it today.
Hi, I’m Jacob. I’ve been a professional blogger for over 6 years and in that time I’ve written countless blogs that have reached millions of people. I am a DVM by profession but all you need to know is that I LOVE DOGS!
SDO started way back in 2015 on a whim. I’d read a couple of dozen blogs online while searching for the best products for my pup and the amount of misinformation online from unqualified sources giving potentially harmful advice shocked me. Then suddenly it hit me, hey, I can do this too! And I can do this RIGHT! Without even knowing what a blog was or how it makes money. I jumped right in to share the years of knowledge I have of dogs with the world.
Within a few months I realized that people were reacting extremely positively to my blogs. My website had taken off and I would receive countless emails from happy dog owners telling me how my website was a God-send for them and their pups were doing so much better after they followed my advice. I would get so many questions as well, and in my attempt to consolidate and answer all the questions I would get from my readers, my blog has evolved to the website you see today. Over the years I encouraged my good friend Tina who is also a DVM to share her experiences and better guide the people who read us. By the Grace of God we now reach close a million people a year and we get such a warm feedback on how we have made life easier for new dog owners all over the globe.
As a dog owner only you would know the feeling you get when you come home at night and you pup is there at the door wagging their tail in sheer joy. The bond a person and their dog share can not be explained in mere words. Yet dogs are like children, and they need to be cared for and trained, and that’s why Smart Dog Owner exists, to give you the precise and exact information that you seek about your dog. No matter how minute that detail is, chances are we will be there to help you out! As someone who has raised 7 of her own dogs. Jacob will always help you out.