There are two types of herpes viruses in humans: HSV 1 and 2. Herpes simplex virus 1 is responsible for 80 percent of herpes outbreaks, and people get lesions on their mouth or face. Herpes simplex virus 2 (genital herpes) is responsible for the other 20 percent of herpes outbreaks. It’s estimated that 80 to 90 percent of people in the United States have been exposed to HSV 1. With such high rates of transmission, is there any cause for concern in transmitting HSV 1 to your dogs?
Can Dogs Get Cold Sores from Humans?
No, humans cannot transmit the herpes simplex virus 1 (the cold sore virus) to dogs. It’s specific to humans, and it can only be passed from human to human. However, there are multiple strains of the herpes virus, and there are strains that are specific to dogs.
The Canine Herpes Virus
Canine herpes virus (CHV) is also known as “fading puppy syndrome” because its mortality rate is the highest in puppies. CHV resides in the reproductive organs and respiratory tracts in adult dogs, and fully grown dogs can carry the virus without showing any symptoms of it. It’s spread among adults dogs through coughing/sneezing and sexual contact.
Puppies contract it via the birth canal when they’re born (if their mother has the virus in their reproductive organs) or through nasal secretions. The puppies can then transmit the virus to each other.
Symptoms of CHV in Puppies
CHV is the leading cause of sudden death in newborn puppies. Symptoms include weakness, persistent crying, yellow/green feces, low body temperature, difficulty breathing, nasal discharge, and bloody noses. They may also present with a painful abdomen (bruising or bloating), lack of a suckle reflex, no appetite, and sudden death.
Treating CHV in Puppies
If your newborn puppy is unwell, your doctor will want to test for CHV. Treatment is mostly supportive: keeping them nourished, hydrated, and warm. They’ll also get an anti-viral medication to battle the virus. However, the mortality rate is high, so many puppies pass away despite being well cared for.
Humans can’t get CHV, and dogs can’t get HSV, so if you get cold sore outbreaks, there isn’t any way your dog could contract them. If you suspect your dog has been exposed to CHV, contact your vet immediately, especially if it was while your dog was being bred.
Hi, I’m Jacob. I’ve been a professional blogger for over 6 years and in that time I’ve written countless blogs that have reached millions of people. I am a DVM by profession but all you need to know is that I LOVE DOGS!
SDO started way back in 2015 on a whim. I’d read a couple of dozen blogs online while searching for the best products for my pup and the amount of misinformation online from unqualified sources giving potentially harmful advice shocked me. Then suddenly it hit me, hey, I can do this too! And I can do this RIGHT! Without even knowing what a blog was or how it makes money. I jumped right in to share the years of knowledge I have of dogs with the world.
Within a few months I realized that people were reacting extremely positively to my blogs. My website had taken off and I would receive countless emails from happy dog owners telling me how my website was a God-send for them and their pups were doing so much better after they followed my advice. I would get so many questions as well, and in my attempt to consolidate and answer all the questions I would get from my readers, my blog has evolved to the website you see today. Over the years I encouraged my good friend Tina who is also a DVM to share her experiences and better guide the people who read us. By the Grace of God we now reach close a million people a year and we get such a warm feedback on how we have made life easier for new dog owners all over the globe.
As a dog owner only you would know the feeling you get when you come home at night and you pup is there at the door wagging their tail in sheer joy. The bond a person and their dog share can not be explained in mere words. Yet dogs are like children, and they need to be cared for and trained, and that’s why Smart Dog Owner exists, to give you the precise and exact information that you seek about your dog. No matter how minute that detail is, chances are we will be there to help you out! As someone who has raised 7 of her own dogs. Jacob will always help you out.