Are Raisins Safe for Dogs to Eat?
Can dogs have raisins?
Imagine you are chilling on the beach side and eating dried grapes or raisins. Your dog looks at you with those cute little dog eyes. Can dogs have raisins?
No matter what one says, dried grapes or raisins are not good for dogs. Not every human food is safe for dogs. We advise against feeding dried grape or raisins to your dogs. Still worried, “Can dogs have raisins?”
Read the article below to learn all about ‘Can dogs have raisins?’
Can dogs have raisins?
No, you should not feed raisins to your dogs. Raisins and currant can be toxic to pets, such as dogs. Avoid feeding anything that contains raisins for dogs. Raisins can lead to kidney failure in dogs.
Dehydrated grapes or raisins can lead to serious kidney damage or complete renal failure in dogs. Raisins should never be a part of your dog food. Dogs cannot digest dehydrated grapes or raisins.
Are Raisins Toxic for Dogs?
Yes, raisins are toxic to dogs. Do not think about feeding raisins to your dogs. Raisins or dried grapes can lead to acute kidney failure in dogs. Vets use activated charcoal to protect dogs against raisin poisoning.
Merck veterinary medicine says that grape ingestion or raisin ingestion in dogs can lead to Anorexia, Polydipsia, and Dehydration in dogs. Raisin toxicity affects the proximal renal tubular epithelium in dogs.
Do dogs like raisins?
No, you should not feed raisins to your dogs. You should never think about feeding raisins to your Shih Tzu. Raisins can be toxic for your Shih Tzu. I love my Shih Tzu, and we never feed raisins to our Shih Tzu.
Raisin adversely affects your dog’s kidneys. You should not feed raisins to your dogs if you want them to have healthy kidney function. Grape ingestion can affect kidney function in dogs. Raisin toxicity can lead to kidney failure or renal failure in dogs.
Symptoms of Raisin Toxicity or Grape Poisoning in Dogs
Dogs face the risk of raisin toxicity or grape poisoning after eating raisins. You should consult your nearest vet if you notice symptoms of raisin toxicity or grape poisoning in your dogs. Your dog may exhibit symptoms of raisin toxicity within 12 to 24 hours after eating raisins.
You should immediately consult your vet when you notice the following symptoms in your dogs:
These symptoms indicate different levels of raisin toxicity or grape poisoning in your dogs. For instance, increased urination after eating raisins indicates initial levels of raisin toxicity or grape poisoning in dogs.
Dehydration and drinking more water than usual also indicates initial levels of raisin toxicity or grape poisoning in dogs.
Dogs experience digestive upset within 6 to 12 hours after eating dried grapes or raisins. A digestive upset can be observed in the form of vomiting or diarrhea. A dog owner may notice raisin pieces in his dog’s stool.
Your dog may become thirstier than usual during the early stages of raisin poisoning or grape poisoning. So, a pet owner may notice his dogs drinking more water than usual during the early stages of raisin poisoning or grape poisoning.
Grape poisoning or raisin toxicity affects urine production in dogs. A good pet owner does not let his dogs ingest grapes or raisins.
The alarm bell rings within 24 to 72 hours after eating raisins or dried grapes. Pet owners may see decreased or no urination in their dogs within 24 to 72 hours after feeding them raisins.
Decreased urination may indicate kidney failure in your dogs. Raisin poisoning or grape poisoning can cause ammonia buildup in dogs. That’s why dogs have bad breath after eating raisins or dried grapes.
Your dog can face the risk of tremors, seizures, or comas during the kidney failure stage of raisins toxicity or grape poisoning.
It is difficult to diagnose raisin toxicity or grape poisoning in dogs. You should consult your nearest veterinarian as soon as you notice the symptoms of raisin toxicity in your dogs.
Can raisin toxicity be treated?
It is not easy to treat raisin toxicity in dogs. Most people do not recognize the symptoms of raisin toxicity in their dogs. Things become tricky when you notice that your dog is struggling to breathe and has decreased or no urination.
Some people try to induce vomiting when they notice their dogs eating raisins. You should not try to induce vomiting if you notice signs of shock or breathing difficulty in your dogs.
You may try calling your pet poison helpline or animal poison control center in case of rape ingestion in dogs. Raisin toxicity can cause sudden kidney failure in dogs. Vets may use veterinary internal medicine to treat symptoms of acute renal failure in dogs.
How to treat raisins toxicity in dogs?
It is difficult to diagnose raisins toxicity in dogs. You need to take into account the following factors into account before trying to treat raisins toxicity in your dogs:
You can immediately start the treatment if your dog ate only a few raisins moments ago. Consulting your nearest vet might be the best possible option.
Vets may recommend the following test to diagnose the extent of raisin poisoning in dogs:
Vets take a proactive approach when they notice clinical signs or symptom of grape toxicity in dogs. Your vet may recommend using a small amount of hydrogen peroxide to treat raisin poisoning in your dog.
Normally, vets use only 3% hydrogen peroxide to control raisin poisoning in a dog. The actual hydrogen peroxide dose may differ with regard to your dog’s weight, breed, and size.
So, why do vets give hydrogen peroxide to treat raisin poisoning in dogs?
Hydrogen peroxide can help induce vomiting in dogs. Vets recommend giving hydrogen peroxide during the early stages of raisin poisoning in dogs. Note that vets may not give hydrogen peroxide when they notice that your dog is having breathing difficulty.
It is a bad idea to induce vomiting in dogs facing breathing difficulty. That’s why we say that you should try to treat raisin toxicity in your dogs during its initial stages.
Vets try to maintain blood flow to dogs’ kidneys in order to prevent kidney failure in dogs. That’s why they use aggressive intravenous fluids to keep your dogs hydrated.
Some vets use activated charcoal to help prevent raisin poisoning in dogs. Others may simply try to wash your dog’s stomach. Either way, it is always better to treat raisin poisoning as soon as you can.
If left untreated, raisin toxicity can be fatal for the poor dog. Dogs with damaged kidneys may not recover easily. Vets can also use intravenous fluids (IV fluids) while trying to treat raisin poisoning in dogs. Dogs suffer a lot of pain and discomfort after eating raisins.
What to Do if Your Dog Ate Raisins?
You should immediately consult your vet. Your vet may try to assess your dog’s current health condition before recommending a suitable treatment method. It is important to treat raisins toxicity during its early stages.
When to Visit the Veterinarian?
You should consult your nearest veterinarian as soon as you know that your dog ate raisins. Do not wait for symptoms of raisin poisoning. Your vet can help protect your dog fight against raisin poisoning.
Vets may try to induce vomiting in dogs with raisin poisoning during the early stages. They can also use activated charcoal to protect your dogs against raisin poisoning. Raisin poisoning is a serious issue. Your nearest veterinarian can help improve your dog’s health.
Other toxic fruits for dogs
Other safe and healthy treat for dogs
Final Thoughts | Can Dogs Eat Raisins?
Can dogs have raisins? Raisins are not good for your dogs. Some people say that raisins or dried grapes are toxic because they contain Mycotoxin, Tartaric Acid, or Salicylate.
While we cannot exactly determine the toxic ingredients in dried grapes or raisins, dogs cannot easily digest tannins, flavonoids, and monosaccharides. You should call your vet as soon as you know that your dog ate dried grapes or raisins.